Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP/Windows Explorer & Internet Exp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RCYoung

RCYoung

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:24 AM

Problem #1: Windows Explorer (Win XP Home)... The program has started to
drop all the settings that I changed when I 1st set up the items that wanted after I brought the computer home. Each time I have changed the settings, now they change a few minutes after to the previous setup icons etc. I went to MS Forum to get help and followed the instructions that I was given. No change what so ever. I went to making the changes for all three drives and just tucking the file directory in the task bar. That solved nothing except that the only directory that kept the
settings was the one I was last working on.

Problem #2: Today(16 June 2005), when I started Windows Internet Explorer, all the normal stuff from the top of the screen was missing or I should say they
were shrunk to a size I've never seen before... I got things back as I played with the elements on the screen, but I haven't got it back the it was setup when I first used it.

I've just checked my settings(changes) I made less than an hour ago and
they are all change back to a one line entry at the top with none of items (Like the tools etc., favorites)...

So now how do I upload the HiJackThis Log...???

Edited by RCYoung, 17 June 2005 - 01:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

Here's a blurb:
  • Create a new folder, under the C: drive, called "hjt". If it already exists delete any files that may be in it. If you have a shortcut to HijackThis on the desktop, delete it.
  • Download the latest version of HijackThis from the following link:
    HijackThis Download Link
    In the 'Save To:' box type "c:\hjt"
  • Unzip HijackThis to the folder you created:
    Navigate to the hjt folder and double click on the HijackThis.zip file. For WindowsXP in the left hand column click 'Extract all Files' the Extraction Wizard will pop up. Click Next, then Browse. Select the HJT folder you created, then click OK. OR If you have WinZip installed you answer 'Agree' and a window will open showing you HijackThis.exe inside the zip file. Click the 'Extract' icon. An extract window will open. In the 'Folders/Drives' section select the C: drive and then the 'hjt' folder. In the "Extract to:" pane it should show "c:\hjt". Select the "All files" button and tick "Overwrite existing files" then click the "Extract" button on the right. Close Winzip.
You should now have HijackThis.exe in your hjt folder.

Restart your computer normally and run HijackThis to create a new logfile.
  • Navigate to the c:\hjt folder.
  • Double-click on hijackthis.exe and when the window opens, put a checkmark in the box at the bottom that states Don't show this frame again when I start HijackThis.
  • Click on the button labeled None of the above, just start the program.
    You will now be presented with the main HJT screen.
  • Press the Scan button and then when it is done, the Save Log button. Save this log in c:\hjt.
    The 'Save Logfile' window should show 'hjt' in the 'Save in:' box, if not click the pull down menu in that box, double-click on the C:drive, folders under C: will display in the box below, double-click on the 'hjt' folder. Then click 'Ok'. If there is already a logfile in the folder, Windows will ask if it can overwrite it, answer 'yes'.
  • A Notepad window opens and can be used as the post to the HJT Forum.

Close HJT by clicking on the close x button at the top of the window.
Please read the pinned posts 'How to use this Forum' and 'How to post a HiJack This log' at the top of the forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

hth
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 17 June 2005 - 04:11 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users