Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CD Rom Drive not Working PLEASE SOMEBODY help me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_diaroxi_*

Guest_diaroxi_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:39 AM

hi! well let's just say i have a bit of a complicated/ complex problem and i'm not sure if anybody can help me just by reading this but HEY i'll try!

I'm currently running a COMPAQ EVO N1020v Notebook and have a cd-rw/dvd drive. which is titled:

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC - 4240N

Around a month ago it started acting a little suspicious with some cds, but around 2 weeks ago it started not reading any!
Now maybe its coincidence, but on that same day i went to:

Start
RUn
Software Setup
Compaq Mobile V.92 Modem Drivers

And i reinstalled that

that might be a coincidence...but i thought i'd mention it

ANyway, a few days ago i opened my computer early in the morning, and tried running a disk through it! ANd iT WORKED!!

My happyness lasted 30 minutes when then i realised it wasn't working any longer.

Then i went off and bought a cd cleaning kit and i TRIED running that a few times. My drive's red it a couple of mornings ( maybe 3) but it doesn't seem to have made a difference as it stopped recognising it half way.

I took it to a service person not long ago, and they tried running an dvd on it, and it recognised it straight away

i came home, tried a dvd, it worked.
I tried it now, it didnt!

Yesterday, me and my friend got desperate so we used some alcohol ( like methylated spirtz) and a cotton bud and tried cleaning the lens. THe drive worked for three CD's then it died. THen everytime i applied to the lens this solution, it worked for one cd... then died.

A computer friend person just came by our house today, and he said something about the software maybe being wrong too. So we looked for a boot floppy disk for my laptop and didn't succeed. Does anybody know anything about any boot floppy/disk/dvd even that i can use?!

He also said something about running a "cold spot/spray" not sure exactly what it was called , on it! I have no idea what to do and where to go!

I could simply replace it, but i'm scared the software of something with my pc board is wrong ( my friend mentioned that too!) and replacing won't solve the problem.

THe laptop has just gone out of warranty a few months now, so it's not that old, only a year and a bit.

Can SOMEBODY help me?!!??!?! I'd be SOOOOOOOO thankful!!
Thankz! Di

p.s. I've also checked for updates at compaq's site and havent found any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:59 AM

Have you called and found out how mucha replacement dvd drive would cost?

Generally if its a software problem it will not work one day and then not the next.

#3 Guest_diaroxi_*

Guest_diaroxi_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:15 AM

I'm confused...
It will not work ONe day THEN the next?!
Or it won't then it won't at all....

And iz there really NO other aparent solution to my problem than replacing it?!

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:23 AM

Here do this since its a compaq! Go to hp.com they bought compaq! Ok and go to live support and tell them your problem. They will dig deep but it might make it work. Not that im trying to send you somewhere else but "if" we cant help you please try that first ok. It does seem to dound like a drive problem though.......sorry

#5 diaroxi

diaroxi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:42 AM

The HP support live chat thing hasn't been very helpfull! They're only solution was to get that cd cleaner... :thumbsup:

If its not a drive problem... wat can it be?!?! AND HOW du i fix it??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:42 AM

Hp couldnt help ya? Hum this is weird. I wish laptop drives wasnt so expensive.....have you reinstalled the drivers or updated them...hp didnt tell you that?

#7 diaroxi

diaroxi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

Nar.... i s'pose i can try again and get some other person helpin me which would b more helpfull!! There are like no updates, even tho i searched! theres some dell software out there for da dell computers that are using this same combo drive, but mine's a compaq!!! ALso, i have no clue how to uninstall and install stuff, and im scared to try with my inexpirience!!! I don't want to stuff it up more! How do i do that?!

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:49 AM

What you wanting to do....? reinstall the drivers on your drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users