Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changes to Bios result in loss of video when rebooting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

System specs: WinXP Pro SP3, C2D 4600, 2gigs DDR2 667, Maxtor 250gig, 8500GS 256mb , Antec Solution Mid Tower Case with Antec True Power 380watt PSU. Onboard Audio and Nic.

The system is used daily for several hours at a time without any problems.

1) Use ranges from basic internet browsing and email to 5+hours playing an MMO.

2) Never shuts down, overheats, locks up etc.

3) All updates are current and virus\spyware scans are clean.

4) No problems with disk appear when scandisk is run.

5) Board has latest Bios and system has latest drivers.

Now to the problem. I built this system about 3 years ago except at that time it had a Pentium D 915 Dual Core cpu. About a year into ownership I upgraded the cpu to the C2D and since that time the system will not display video when rebooting after making changes to the bios. It has to be turned completely off, then cold booted. An example: I need to boot from cd rom so I reboot, enter bios, change primary boot device, save and exit. System will reboot but the screen will not display video. Monitor has amber light and no input message. Reset wont resolve the problem but a cold boot will. This only happens immediately after making any change in the bios. Otherwise, it works perfectly. Any ideas?

Obviously this isnt a huge issue for me since I waited over 2 years to ask about it but Im curious regardless:)
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

What are you using for graphics On board or a PCI-E or AGP card?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Queedon

Queedon

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:10 AM

Same thing happened to me today also, was playing with bios to try and make my PCIE slot to work at the right speeds and what not, witch led me to my current Post...

talked to a guildy in a game of mine, just told me to simply take the little lithium battery out on your board for about 30secs-1 min and it will reset the cmos to default, probally somthing you changed in it wasnt right so it wont boot that way. just an idea. lemme know if it works :thumbsup:

#4 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

What are you using for graphics On board or a PCI-E or AGP card?

PCI-E

Talked to a guildy in a game of mine, just told me to simply take the little lithium battery out on your board for about 30secs-1 min and it will reset the cmos to default, probally somthing you changed in it wasnt right so it wont boot that way. just an idea. lemme know if it works :thumbsup:

This probably something different. It happens any time I make any type of change...even something as simple as changing the default boot drive. Its not an oc error in other words.
Resistance is futile.

#5 Queedon

Queedon

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Ah, allright, well tested my input. not sure what could be wrong then

#6 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

I may have found a solution but I dont know why it works. I was checking out the settings in the Bios and I noticed that the timeout to detect drives was set to 3 secs and I changed it to 5. When I exited the bios it started fine. I tried it a few more times and the problem seems resolved.
Resistance is futile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users