Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winsock issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tedstech

tedstech

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Computer was running fine until i downloaded the newest windows xp update this morning and now i have no internet connection. i can connect to my wireless signal but it says that it can not renew im ip address. i ran winsockxpfix and it did not help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

There were no critical updates either today or yesterday...so what update is it that you downloaded/installed?

What makes you think it's a winsock issue?

What is the exact error message you receive?

Have you tried uninstalling your network drivers...and then reinstalling them?

Louis

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

If it is a winsock error, try typing this into command prompt (without the "'s):

"netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt"

followed by:

"netsh winsock reset"

This will require you to reset your PC, try to renew your IP address by typing "ipconfig /renew" into command prompt.

Hopefully this will work for you!

To get into command prompt, hold down the windows key, between the left ctrl and alt, and press "r" this should open the run dialogue box. In this box, type "cmd" and hit enter, this will bring up command prompt.

EDIT: even if this isn't a winsock related error, this won't hurt. all you will notice is it will delete any static ip addresses you have set on your computer.

Edited by KamakaZ, 08 April 2009 - 06:42 PM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 tedstech

tedstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

i went to i.e. tools, diagnose connection and then to network diagnostics it tells me to go to microsoft support and when i look at the diagnostic log it says that there was an error attempting to validate the winsock base providers: 2. This computer had not had a windows update in at least a year. when the update was loaded, the adware and antivirus was not turned off

Edited by tedstech, 08 April 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#5 tedstech

tedstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

i did what kamakaz instructed me to do and it worked.....kind of. i can now get on to my neighbors weak wireless signal but i cant connect to my own signal. i am picking up the signal but im not "aquiring the network address".
thanks for the help so far

Edited by tedstech, 08 April 2009 - 08:58 PM.

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

silly question... you have got the right password? (if there is a password) i have seen this before. is it possible to plug it in via cables? just trying to eliminate somethings here...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#7 tedstech

tedstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yes i have it stored in the computer so when it asks me it already has it filled in

#8 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

can you try to connect it using cables? just to eliminate the wireless side of things...

#9 tedstech

tedstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

i just hooked up the wire and it worked so now my computer just doesnt like my wireless network.

#10 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

exactly, have you changed any settings or installed any programs/ windows updates recently?

#11 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

just wondering how it's all going?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users