Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer acting slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tiron

Tiron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

For about the past 2 weeks or so my computer will occasionally start acting slow, programs that should open almost instantly (such as Firefox) can take 10-15 seconds to open. I always open the task manager when this happens and there is always nothing there to show why the computer would be doing this, CPU usage is usually below 10% in the performance tab and I'm using less than 1GB of my 3GB of RAM almost always when the slow downs happen. This usually goes on for about 15-20mins. I do not believe it is a virus or malware as I always have AVG and Ad-Aware running, AVG also does a full system scan every morning after updating and it hasn't found anything. Restarting usually does not help either. Also for the past week while watching videos the video playback will start getting choppy and freezing up, originally I was using Divx to watch the videos but that stopped playing them completely so I switched to Windows Media Player to have the freezing/choppy playback start happening. I also tried using VLC and that behaved the same way. Both problems will stop on their own after a while, but both usually happen a few times a day. Also a few days after my computer started having it's slow downs I shut down my computer for the night only to wake up and find out that a stick of RAM was dead, is it possible that another stick is about to go?

Edited by Tiron, 08 April 2009 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Its entirely possible for mulptiple sticks to go bad. The easiest way is to use Windows Memory Tester. Download and burn it to a disc and boot to it. If you have ANY errors then you have a bad stick of RAM. Remove all but one and keep testing and switching sticks until you narrow it down.

It is also that your hard drive could be having problems.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

This site has all the diagnostics for all the major brands of hard drives. (if you cant find yours download Seatools it works on all hard drives).

Let us know what you find.

#3 Tiron

Tiron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Thank you very much for your help, turns out it is my hard drive. Diagnostics test came back with the error code 08- Too many bad sectors detected. So I'm thinking I should probably get a new hard drive as soon as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users