Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion a1410n Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I recently picked up an HP Pavillion a1410n refurb. Up till now I've always backed up my data on CD and DVD RW, but now I want to try my hand at other storage devices, like flash USB. The problem is I'm largely unfamiliar with this kind of stuff, and since I picked up my HP secondhand I don't have any of the documentation that might have come with it.

Here are the media readers slots at the front of my PC:

Smart Media/xD
Compact Flash I/II
MMC/SD
Media Stick/ Pro
USB 2.0

Now except for the last one I have no idea what any of these slots do. I tried a USB Flash Drive in the corresponding slot, and my computer didn't recognize it. However, when I stuck it in my other USB slots, the computer did recognize that the stick had been inserted, then popped-up the message: "This device is not configured properly."

In My Computer, I have a C: drive, a D: (DVD/RW) and four others, E: thru H:

What do these drive letters correspond to?

(As always, thanks in advance.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

the E through H are probably all the different media slots available, and those are all different types of media storage. You can find them at wally world. Personally, I use flash drives Or SD cards for most of my data transfers, your computer should support those as well. as far as your USB drive not working, does it work in other computers? cuz its possible the sticks bad. Or the USB controllers bad. hard to tell.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

How does a USB flash drive normally work anyway. When you pop it in, should the computer automatically detect and try to open it like it does if you load a new CD into the drive? Do USB flash drives require software in order to work?

Also: E: thru H: would appear to designate four separate drives. But as I indicated in my first post, I have five slots in my front media bus. Which of the following would not need a designated letter drive:

Smart Media/xD
Compact Flash I/II
MMC/SD
Media Stick/ Pro
USB 2.0

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

You're correct. Normally when you plug a USB drive in, the computer will automatically detect it and bring up an autorun box asking what you would like to do. You may need software if you're running an older version of Windows (before xp). If you have XP or Vista, it should automatically install the drivers for the drive the first time you plug it in.

Is the Drive formatted?

E through H would probably be all except the usb drive.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

No idea whether the USB flash came pre-formated or not. I know I've never done anything to it. For the record, these flash drives were handed out free as doorprizes at a computer store I visited. Maybe they were handing out duds. :thumbsup:

When you insert an unformated flash drive, will the autorun window inform of you this and ask if you want it formatted?

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Insert the drive into a slot that you know works with it. It should pop up in my computer as a removable disk. If you then right click on the drive and go to properties, it should tell you the file system. Also, if you've been able to put files onto the drive, then it is formatted.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users