Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP XG833 Not turning off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi, I currently have a problem with an HP XG833 running Windows Me. It will shut down and go to a blank screen, the lights in front will turn off, but the computer is still running and will not turn off unless you either hold the switch down or pull the power cord? Any suggestions to what is wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

How long has it been doing this? If it just started recently, have you made any changes to the computer around the time it started happening, whether software or hardware?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

As long as I've gotten a hold of it. People are donating computers to our class to fix for kids to use at the Boys and Girls Club, and this is one of those machines. It has been doing this as far as I've been repairing it to my knowledge; I believe it may have shut down normally once before installing updates, but I'm not sure.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Have you given it a few minutes to fully shut off? Some computers can take a while.

It may be a ram issue too. Try scanning it with memtest memtest86.com . You'll need to download and then burn the iso image to a disc. You'll then have to boot the computer off the disc. You should let it run for a few hours, preferably overnight or while you're gone for a while. If you need help with this, let us know!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users