Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird PC Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zervic

Zervic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

Okay, here's the run down. I got stationed in Nevada and my PC was in New Jersey so I had it shipped out to me. When I received it, it would boot but I wouldn't get a picture (no signal). So I got a new GFX card, new case, new CPU, new mother board. Everything was working fine for a couple days then,
my XP started giving me blue screens and all kinds of errors so I decided to install a copy of Vista Business Edition x86 (32-Bit) that I got from work. Well, seeing as it's a fresh install I didn't think I'd be having any issues. I was wrong.

I still get blue screens here and there, so I'm thinking it's a hardware compatibility issue or a driver issue or a hardware instability of some sort. Here are my specs:

HD: WD1600YS 160GB (SATA)
CD Drive: Optiarc DVD RW Ad-7190S (SATA)
Motherboard: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5800+ 3.00 GHZ
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804
GFX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX/9800 GTX+ (BFGTech)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream OCZ780MXS 780W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Now, BSOD's aren't the only issues I'm having. Sometimes, like today, I left my computer on while I was at work. When I got home it was telling me some system file was corrupt and that I needed to put the OS CD in and repair, I tried to no avail. So I disconnected power, reconnected power, turned on computer, said there was an issue with BIOS, so I put my motherboard CD in and it re-flashed the BIOS. Restarted, BIOS issue, re-flashed. So, then I got to the windows loading screen, it stayed at the screen for a while, I rebooted tried to boot into safe mode, it stayed at the screen where it loads the drivers. So, i rebooted, tried to boot with the "last known good configuration" and I got a blue screen. Re-booted and chose boot normally, got into windows. Then I got another blue screen as I was just browsing the internet. And since, I haven't had any issues...yet.

Any thoughts? :/

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

I would try running memtest86 on it to eliminate any memory problems, your vista boot CD might have it on it if not you can download it. other then that, my bet is a driver compatibility issue somewhere, or your memory or video card isnt seated right.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Zervic

Zervic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:31 AM

I would try running memtest86 on it to eliminate any memory problems, your vista boot CD might have it on it if not you can download it. other then that, my bet is a driver compatibility issue somewhere, or your memory or video card isnt seated right.

Okay, thank you. I have a copy of UBCD at work that I keep forgetting to bring home, but those are my plans. I've never used memtest86 but I will certainly give it a try. I did run something in the midst of my vista boot-up crisis that had to do with memory (probably memtest86 lol) and I let it do 2 passes before I rebooted the machine, it didn't tell me anything so I'm assuming everything was good with those 2 passes...

thanks for the quick reply.

Edit: I uploaded a CPU-Z report just in case that might have some information that can help in determining the culprit of the issue at hand :/

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.htm   10.71KB   2 downloads

Edited by Zervic, 08 April 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

my guess is either your memory or you video card isnt set right due to dirt or somethin or that its a driver conflict somewhere, my moneys on the driver.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Zervic

Zervic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

my guess is either your memory or you video card isnt set right due to dirt or somethin or that its a driver conflict somewhere, my moneys on the driver.

How would you suggest going about this? Meaning, if I want to rule out the drivers right now, what would you suggest doing? I know my fair share of computer things, but I've never particularly dealt with drivers. So, can you help me through this or link me to a tutorial or walk through or what ever you want to call it that can help me? I want to see if it is a driver and if so I want to find out which one and go from there.

Thanks!

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:52 AM

well, I would start with uninstalling each driver and reinstalling them (make sure their up to date) one at a time. it would prolly be easier and less time consuming to rule out the hardware first, just turn the computer off, unplug it, ground yourself, remove the memory and video card, blow out the slots with compressed air or something like that and reinstall them. also, you could go into device manager and look at each hardware device. it may tell you that a driver isnt working, may not. A more foolproof way to do it, next time you get the blue screen of death, would be to write down the error code, and either post it on here or google it, or both, and see what others have to say about it.

picard5.jpg

#7 Zervic

Zervic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

well, I would start with uninstalling each driver and reinstalling them (make sure their up to date) one at a time. it would prolly be easier and less time consuming to rule out the hardware first, just turn the computer off, unplug it, ground yourself, remove the memory and video card, blow out the slots with compressed air or something like that and reinstall them. also, you could go into device manager and look at each hardware device. it may tell you that a driver isnt working, may not. A more foolproof way to do it, next time you get the blue screen of death, would be to write down the error code, and either post it on here or google it, or both, and see what others have to say about it.

did all you said to do...except for the drivers...but as far as hardware goes I really don't think it's an issue of that sort...I ran memtest for quite some time...I also ran WD Diagnostics...everything came back good...I left my computer on while I was at work just to see what would happen...said that same thing about a corrupt system file or something and wouldn't boot...but the thing is...usually if I unplug the power and then plug it back in it boots right up...this time I had to do it 3 times...I couldn't boot to my CD either...kept giving me that error before it would boot to disk (windows disk)...so what is going on? Why is it giving me this error and not allowing me to boot but if I unplug my computer and plug it back in it works after 1, 2 or 3 times of doing this?

As for drivers...where would you recommend starting? Oh...I also got a couple files from the last time it gave me a blue screen...I will attach those...maybe they say something I'm not seeing...I'll let someone have a look at those files maybe the answer is in there...

Attached Files

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

from googling it, everything Im reading about this error either points to a hardware problem or a corrupt bios. Im not finding much however, so its possible its not. what I would check: make sure the voltages are correct for the memory, and in Bios try loading the fail safe defaults, and see what that does.

picard5.jpg

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Im going to amend that, I did just find one forum that said it is usually caused by a bad hardware driver, to fix you can try booting it into safe mode (hit f8 on boot) on the safe mode menu, click load last known good configurate, and if that doesnt work, start uninstalling drivers starting with the last piece of hardware you added to it, and reinstall them, and continue doing so until the problem stops.

picard5.jpg

#10 Zervic

Zervic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Im going to amend that, I did just find one forum that said it is usually caused by a bad hardware driver, to fix you can try booting it into safe mode (hit f8 on boot) on the safe mode menu, click load last known good configurate, and if that doesnt work, start uninstalling drivers starting with the last piece of hardware you added to it, and reinstall them, and continue doing so until the problem stops.

Okay, thank you very much! I just got a couple pictures of blue screen (i just got 2 in a row) I will upload those so you can view those as well....both are kind of hard to see because I had to rush to take them before my computer restarted...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7779/dsc00653s.jpg
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8738/dsc00654fyg.jpg

Thanks again for all the help :thumbsup:

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

try these out http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

picard5.jpg

#12 Zervic

Zervic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:00 AM

try these out http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

Okay so I THINK one of the (probably) many issues I'm having is something with my gfx card...I tried playing counter strike 1.6 today and twice my computer blue screened within minutes of playing...I do have the latest drivers for my card...any suggestions?

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

besides doing what that link explains to do, try rolling back to an older driver.

picard5.jpg

#14 Zervic

Zervic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

I think I figured out my issue...and I'm almost ashamed to say...but when I installed my chipset drivers i think it automatically installed the xp x86 but I'm running vista x86...I'd imagine that COULD cause quite a few issues lol...so I had to go into the cd and find the vista x86 chipset drivers...so far I haven't had a blue screen...but me saying this probably just jinxed me :x

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

very good reason, wrong drivers for the OS would cause those problems, hopefully it will work out for ya. :D

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users