Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible infection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kwill076

kwill076

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:38 AM

I'm pretty sure my computer was infected. I use AVG anti-virus with Vista, and I thought the infections were removed. However, when my computer starts up I get three messages. They are the nearly the exact same: they are titled RunDLL, and they say:

Error loading C:\ProgramData\?????\?????.dll

The specified module could not be found

One has a file name of kusomivo, one is ziyojozi, and one is yenonoje. They all appear at start up. So far, I've only noticed two problems with my computer's performance. For one, whenever I attempt to download something in Firefox it shows the download happening, but when it's finished the file doesn't show up in the specified folder. This is the same no matter what the destination file for the downloads is. Second, on startup AVG anti-virus doesn't start up like it used to; I have to manually open it, and I doesn't perform scheduled scans anymore. Other than that, I've noticed no other problems: my computer runs fine, and I don't get any weird popups. I would appreciate any help I can get on this problem, as I don't really know much about viruses. Let me know if you need any more info about the problem. Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Hello and welcome ...
RunDLL32.exe is a legit Windows file that loads .dll files which too can be legit or malware related. The Cannot find or error loading error message usually occurs when the associated .dll has been removed. The file may have been removed during an anti-virus scan, the uninstall of a program or use of a specialized fix tool. However, an associated registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up.

If the file was removed but not the entry, Windows will display an error message indicating that the file was not found or there was an error loading. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the program when it loads.

To resolve this download and run Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file with the error message.
Right-click on the file and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Next please run MBAM:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.36) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 kwill076

kwill076
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

I guess this is a different problem, but like I said for some reason I can't download anything. If I try to save the download it just doesn't show up in the specified folder, and if I just have the download open it says the file cannot be found. Any suggestions for that? Or should I ask that somewhere else? I use firefox.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

Yes, if it's not malware than those in the XP or whayever OS you have will be able to help you better.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users