Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LZ32.DLL error message

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrsachemtiger

mrsachemtiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

I am running Vista Business on a Thinkpad T61p with 3 gb ram and 72 gb of free space.

When attempting to install some new software purchased on CD, I immediately get the following dialog box & error message:

Setup.exe – bad image
C:\windows\system32\LZ32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Aha! It must be a faulty disk! Nope, my husband was able to install it just fine on his Windows XP system.

I contacted the software vendor. Since my husband was able to install it on his machine, and they’ve never seen this error message before, they believe it is a Vista problem.

Since Lenovo doesn’t provide software support (Buyer Beware!), I visited the thinkpads.com forums and posted my issue there http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=74974

I discovered that I had malware in the form of 5 BHO registry keys. I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Hijack This and the system seems to be clean now.

I’ve downloaded a LZ32.DLL file (with an earlier date – will that be a problem?), hoping to replace the corrupt file. Nothing I’ve done to change the security permissions will allow me to do that. (Booting in safe mode, running as administrator, changing the permissions to full control – I still get “Unable to save permission changes” error messages.) I can’t rename or replace the corrupt file. (I can, however, place a copy of it on my desktop and rename it there.)

Is LZ32.DLL a Windows Vista file? Should I be able to extract/copy it off the Lenovo Operating System Recovery Disc? I don’t see it in the list of files.

Is there a way to just repair this one file, rather than fiddling with the entire OS through the various Vista Repair and Recovery Tools? I read through that section and didn’t see anything that seemed relevant for this particular problem, but I could have overlooked something. I haven’t tried System Restore, because I don’t know when I acquired the BHOs and don’t want to restore them.

Another website says LZ32.DLL has to do with displaying ttf files. Is that true?

Should I “shred” the original apparently corrupt LZ32.DLL file using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and move the downloaded file into the system 32 folder and hope it works?

My computer is working fine otherwise, so I don’t want to screw it up trying to fix this. But since I spent a good bit of money on this software, I’d really like to be able to use it.

Thanks much for your advice – it is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

lz32.dll is a process belonging to the LZ Expand/Compress program . lz32.dll contains libraries for LZ Expand/compress

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200649

lz32.dll is not a critical component.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users