Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File scrrun.dll is missing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

I am using win 98 SE, and IE 6. Periodically, to clean up and speed up my computer, I go to Add-Remove Programs in control panel and click on IE6; then I select "add-remove" and then"repair". After restart of computer it runs better.

However, recently, I had computer worked on. After I got it back and reinstalled my programs/files, I am not able to do the above steps to refresh computer. Now, when I try to run the repair, I get a message that "IE 6 cannot be repaired". When I then click "details", I get the Message,"file scrrun.dll is missing"...please run setup again to reinstall all components".

I have done so 3-4 times but doesnt fix the problem. Have also deleted and reinstalled the IE....still no help.

Can anyone advise on this problem. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

You can get that file here. Save it to C:\Windows\System.

Have you done the Windows Updates since you got your computer back?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:01 AM

Went out of town and left that problem behind. Now, having returned a week ago, I am back trying to fix that missing dll file situation. Leurgy, I went to site you directed but it said I would need to unzip to use those files. Dont know how to unzip....at least without spending a chunk of money to buy that "express zip" program.

I did try to locate all dll files when I did a search on "find" button. It listed nothing.But, when I then named the search as"zip" files on find button, I got a big list of dll files. Dont know if these are zipped or unzipped?

But while trying to fix this problem, I somehow got hijacked with my old adversary, "about: blank"- with its three friends. Of course I cant just delete from programs in control panel. So, previously, I had defeated that malware with the ad-aware se program. I tried to do so again. This time that software did not get rid of this hijacker. I think that hijacked found out how to defend agaisnt ad-aware.

Anway, I have been over a week going batty trying to get my computer back on normal operating. Can you, or anyone, offer any further advise on the above problems??

Oh yeh, when I went to that site of dll files, I did pay a chunk of dough for that "mighty max" software....but it cant eliminate about:blank - nor help missing dll file.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:34 AM

Get the evaluation version of WinZip 9.0 SR-1. Its free and although it says for 21 days it doesn't run out. When you download the .dll file open it and it will open in WinZip. Go to "Extract to" at the top and type in C:\Windows\System.

Look at this page. If a file is zipped it has an icon like the one under the heading WINZIP 9.0.

I have no idea what Mighty Max is or does.

If you have About:Blank you need some help from our HiJack This team. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

Sally!Please for all our sakes get rid of that PC Mighty Max(with the
ambulance in the tray?)as it will ensure you return here with more &
worse problems.I hope you can unzip&install the Dll with Winzip &the
directions Leurgy gave.WinZip didn't do it for me with a file from that
Dll site(how they sell their version?)but there are others here.Webgrid.
co.uk-(7Zip)-or you may have more luck than I.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users