Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

apparent spyware emails sent from me to myself

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VickiAlice

VickiAlice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi, I am very new to bleepingcomputer, as of today. I have an ISP with whom I have spyware control for my emails. They block apparent spyware emails then send me a daily email showing those that they have blocked. Within the daily email that my ISP sends me there have begun to be emails from myself. I have an antivirus programme, supposedly a good one, I run Windows Defender daily, I use the Microsoft Firewall. But, there are more and more emails being blocked by my ISP on a daily basis. There used to be none, after I did a complete re-install of my Vista some time back, because of too many spyware emails coming in. I purchased the spyware blocker provided by my ISP. There were no emails received by them for ages, then they began to trickle in, maybe one a day or none. Today however there were about forty, and four of them were from myself. So obviously there is some kind of infection in my computer but I do not know where it is. None of my security programmes tell me that there is anything there. I constantly get the all clear from all of them. Can anybody help. These emails are becoming a real nuisance - also, some of them get thru my ISP and make it to my junkbox. I then block them myself and send them on to my ISP's spyware handler. Hope you can understand these ramblings.................................I need suggestions as to how to find where the spyware is on my pc. Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VickiAlice

VickiAlice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:59 AM

Hello, I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It found nothing. My computer is not slow or anything like that. The only problem I have is the endless spam emails which are sent to me - most of which are caught by my ISP - and the fact that I seem to be sending spam emails to myself. Most of the emails deal with little blue pills, bleep enlargements, pharmacy stuff, and pictures of hot chicks. Being a grandmother myself, there is no way I am interested in any of that stuff, and there are no children in this house who would have used the computer to download anything strange. Most sites I go to are craft and music sites and I have accidentally stumbled upon the odd blog site via the craft sites I visit, but I haul on out of those quick smart. Is there anything else I can do to find out what is sending out emails to myself and why I get so many spam emails from some of the most ridiculous usernames - none of which, of course, I recognise.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

You didn't say which email client you use, but you need to set up it's spam filters
Another alternative is a web-based email account, such as gmail.
You could do better than your ISP's AV and malware tools
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

VikiAlice - I too had something of the sort, at first I wasn't sure what the hell it was.. After doing some research and some digging, I found that these emails are spoofed... Though it is saying it is coming from you, it really isn't... It is not an infection, I myself being pretty deep into computer security, checked everything I can... See sometimes these emails come from posting your email address in public places, some come from compromised websites that hold your email, and some come from places that may, would or do publicly announce your email... These emails are generated by what seems to be a script, and in that script, they provide the To: and From: as the same email, so it would appear as though you are sending it to yourself... It would be a good idea not to click on any of the links though, for they could lead to an infection...

And it is a good thing to question and worry, cause sometimes that can be a sign of infection... So if you are not finding anything immediately, if you want to take a more in depth look towards the problem, that might be a good idea... By more in depth I am talking about watching your network traffic, make sure nothing is getting into your computer and then sending it from your computer... That is what one of the many things I did...

Another way to make sure it is not an infection, depending on what email client you use, you should be able to bring up a less user friendly version of the email... I use Gmail, and with it I can choose "Show Original"... On a typical basis, within the first 10-15 lines you should be able to see a section of the line that will say "client-ip=".... That is the Ip from which the email has originated from... The emails I am receiving are coming from Ireland... Which they also provide an email to contact them with if you wish to report the spam... So if you decide to take a look at that and the client-ip is 86.47.154.24-31, I would suggest sending an email to abuse@eircom.net.

Edit: for those who are not very in depth with ip's the .24-31, is meaning any value between 24 and 31...

Edited by burn1337, 08 April 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#5 VickiAlice

VickiAlice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi Burn1337,
Thanks very much for that info. I was coming to that conclusion myself, but I did want to check as I didn't want to be sending spam out to other people too.
I use Windows Mail for my email by the way. Also, in fact, I was once told that Gmail was one to stay away from, but you and also the fellow below your post to me have both now suggested it, and since I am not as crack at computers as probably both of you two, I might have a look at it. My ISP is actually stopping pretty much 99% of the spam coming through so it's not all that bad. They are pretty reliable with their customer service too. Thanks very much again and I will look at Gmail. :thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers:
VickiAlice

#6 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

VickiAlice,
That is good that your ISP blocks most of that spam mail... But as for Gmail... I would prefer them over well any... Never used Windows Mail, but in my personal opinion, anything that has Windows or Microsoft on it, is doomed to either cause you hell, or give you hell... I suggest you try Gmail, it is very nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users