Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64bit supporting tools

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Okay so I have been taking random looks here and there on some of the tools BC recommends, and uses... To my dismay, I have found that most them do not support 64bit processors... Though it is understandable that there are still a lot of people who do not have 64bit processors, they are becoming more and more on the rise... I have had my E-machines, for almost 3 years, and it too is a 64bit processor... So I wonder why it is, that a good amount of theses tools do not support 64bit processors...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

64 bit processor is rather new in the developer's world. Not in the hardware world, though.

Developers have to change up methods of developing so their applications will work properly on 64 bits.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

Don't confuse 64 bit cpu's with 64 bit operating systems
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Exactly my point, DaChew.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

64 bit processor is rather new in the developer's world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_(computing)
Chewy

#6 burn1337

burn1337
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:07 AM

Jay-P VIP - Ok regardless of it being hardware or software... 3 years is still a long time... Since 64bit processors have come out, Windows has done, XP 64 bit, Vista 32 and 64bit, and Windows 7 (and if I remember correctly it too is 64bit)... Not to mention all the different Linux OS's that has been developed for the 64bit processor...

Please do not say that none of these malware/virus/spyware ect. writers have not made programs that will or do target 64bit operating systems or 64 bit processors...

Also DaChew, your right I should have also talked about the 64bit OS's...

32bit malware ect. can infect a 64bit Operating system, except a good amount of these tools will not work on a 64bit OS... So how are these tools in anyway good, if they are not able to keep up? If I am not able to run a program because I am sitting on a 64bit OS, but yet these 32bit programs are able to infect me, how are they supposed to be doing me good?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:14 AM

It's a little more complicated than that, it's all about drivers actually.

For example MBAM(malwarebytes) scans fine with Vista or XP 64 bit, it's paid protection module has to use a driver which
Microsoft won't let hook into Vista64bit. Malware has the same problem, it's rootkits/drivers can't install properly.

Vista64 runs good programs and bad in 32 bit compatibility mode but not drivers.

Vista64 bit is easy to clean, if and when it gets infected, there are lots of false alarms/false positives, scanners running in the compatibility mode see things differently.
Chewy

#8 burn1337

burn1337
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

DaChew - Granted yes there are a lot of difficult things that writers would have to work around for their programs to properly infect someone... And yes granted most of those older spyware ect. would have problems loading into Windows Vista... But that doesn't mean it can't be changed... I myself have already found many things about Vista that writers could easily exploit... As I am sure many people have... And any one smart enough to continually make spyware and what not, I am sure is smart enough to figure out how to get around things with windows...
Besides there were 64bit spyware, before the 64bit OS's came about(granted there wasn't much of anything but still)... MBAM is 32bit only, it says so in it's specs... I have tried downloading a few of the suggested programs, and so far the only one I have gotten to install is HiJackThis... and personally, I have been working with computers more then long enough to not need it... I used to use HiJackThis all the time, until I got more in depth with things...

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

I just love college classes.

Computer Architecture 101: Processors and Data Systems

Types of processors: 4-bit, 8-bit, 12-bit, 16-bit, 18-bit, 24-bit, 31-bit, 32-bit, 36-bit, 48-bit, 64-bit, 128-bit

Types of Applications: 8-bit, 16-bit, 31-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit

64-bit processors have existed since the 1960s. Used in supercomputing back then. Virus makers had over a long time to get a threat done. Integer and addressing registers are 64 bits wide. This allows complete support for 64-bit data types. ALL SOFTWARE THAT RUNS ON 32-BITS IS PORTED TO WORK ON 64 BITS. Old software is done through hardware compatibility mode. All of the Windows software that runs currently is through WoW64 project by Microsoft. Device drivers are the only thing holding 32-bit programs back from working properly, on a 64-bit machine.

#10 burn1337

burn1337
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

Well yes the 64-bit processors have been in use for a very long time... Although that isn't exactly what I was trying to point at... Though I think your kinda funny, firstly talking about how new 64bit is to developers, then talking about how old 64bit processors really are...

I just thought it might be a good thing to include a wider ranger of 64-bit OS (yes I know I should have said so in the opening statement, sorry I can be forgetful at times) compatible tools for the removal of spyware ect... Though of course the majority of well known companies/products (Avast, Adaware, Norton, Mcgafee ect..) are compatible, and thankfully HJT, but still, I think it would be a good idea to include a few more that are backwards compatible...

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Use HJT and processexplorer to look at running processes, compare

Other utlilities like autoruns are being ported to support 64bit well

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1,UAC On, KAV 2009, SAS Pro, Windows Defender, Comodo Boclean, TeaTimer,Spybot S&D Immunization, HostsMan, Vista Firewall Control x64 Pro, SpywareBlaster, + MBAM for on-demand scans. Behind hardware firewall.

One member's layered defense, not sure how anything could ever get thru that
Chewy

#12 burn1337

burn1337
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

Well I actually don't use HJT... Been removing and building programs for some time now... I have a very good understanding of what is most likely going wrong... Though I thought it was funny... With Windows Vista, and using HJT, I found more about my system with Windows Task Manager, then I did with HJT... Also Avast scans more of processes then HJT does... Or so it seems...

Though that is a hefty amount of stuff, I already know it wouldn't be that hard to get into that system... Spybot S&D, has always not been very good with not leaving holes, or making them... SAS pro, not hard to get around... Comodo, that too seems fairly easy, with some homework I am sure it is easily crackable... The hardest parts of that system would be, hardware firewall, and Windows Defender/firewall, though it is possible that Comodo could present a challenge...

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

The KIS with HIPS is expensive but effective
Chewy

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

64-bit Anti-Virus For Vista
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 burn1337

burn1337
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

quietman7 - I love how Avast is the first on that list lol...
DaChew - KIS, HIPS? Not exactly sure what the abbreviations mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users