Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not log on

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hello again. I was here with a problem last week and some very kind people took their time to help, so I thought I'd try again :flowers: . I'm running Windows XP Home SP3. Today I was updating my driver's using Driver Max; the download of the updates went fine, but when I tried to install the first update, for my ATI Radeon Xpress, my avast! Home Edition went bonkers, flashing a series of messages stating something to the effect that several of the components of the driver update were tainted by 'win32:vitro.' So, I stopped the update, located the folder containing the components, then scanned the folder with both Malwarebytes' and SUPERAntiSpyware, each freshly updated. Both MWB and SAS showed no infections. As I'd used Driver Max previously with no trouble, I reckoned that the avast! freak-out was a false positive--Googling a bit with no informative hits--and once again tried to install the update, this time telling avast! to ignore each of it's 5 or 6 warnings. No problem so far, install successful, reboot. Upon start up, avast! once again blew a gasket, the same 'win32:vitro' warning, and after warning window number 4 or 5 asked me if I want to run a boot scan. Well, by now I was well fed-up with the whole situation, so I started the boot scan with the intent of removing all of the offensive bits, uninstalling Driver Max and all it's traces, then coming here to ask you friendly folks the easiest way to update my drivers without spending money I don't have :cool:. Anyway, at about the 20% mark of the avast! boot scan it stopped and asked what to do about 7 or 8 entries--sorry, not sure exactly what they were--and I hit the key for 'delete.' On with the scan. At about the 33% mark it asked about another entry, then another, and another. I hit 'delete' for all of them. Then at about the 40% mark it asked about 3 entries, 1 or 2 of which ended in .dll if I remember correctly, so I hit 'delete' and 'yes to all.' Last I noticed it was at about the 50% mark, then some minutes later--in my mind too soon to have reached 100%, but I don't know for sure as I wasn't staring at the computer, only glancing at it every couple of minutes--it was booting up. And here's the problem: it's asking me for an administrative password, a screen and request that I've never seen before in the 3 years I've owned the laptop. Well, I don't know the password so I can't log on (I'm presently using a friend's computer). Every way I try to log on--normally, safe mode, last known good configuration--it's the same thing: a small window in the center of the orange 'Compaq' screen, the top half blue with 'Windows Home Edition' next to the logo, title bar 'Log On to Windows,' and the bottom half white with 'User Name: Administrator' above 'Password: [blank white rectangle], and that above 4 choices, 'OK', 'Cancel', 'Shutdown', and 'Options<<'. I tried to Google some answers, but everything I found has ideas for already logged on users. I can't log on, I can only shutdown, reboot to the same password request screen, and F8 to Advanced Options, but no matter what I try it asks for the Administrator password. I also searched for existing threads here related to this subject, but found nothing applicable to my current dilemma. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give of their time and knowledge. Again. :inlove:

Ahhh, a long story, but I've no recovery disk. Also, I'm in podunk Thailand, so ordering one from HP is out of the question. Thanks.

OK, for every 'Advanced Options Menu' choice after I reboot-and-F8 (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Disable automatic restart on system failure {didn't try}, Start Windows Normally), if I leave 'Administrator' in the name, the password blank, and hit 'Enter', a window appears that says 'Loading your personal settings' then 'Saving your settings', but then reverts to the original window with 'User Name: Administrator', 'Password: [blank]', and the 4 option buttons within a few seconds. However, use of any password gives a typical error message, worded differently for each option, but pretty much 'You're Screwed.' ':thumbsup: Also, PageDefrag, an XP tweak to, well, defragment my page file, that runs prior to OS loading, runs just fine unless the above option doesn't support it. That is, everything seems fine and dandy, and it seems that [blank] is accepted for the Administrator password, but everything is missing: my personal settings are loaded, my desktop backround photo appears, then it just saves my settings and returns to the window requesting a password on the orange Compaq screen.

Help me DaChew, you're my only hope. :trumpet:

Edited by garmanma, 07 April 2009 - 07:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

I realize that you're probably very busy, but it seems that you misread my recent post requesting assistance. I don't need help defeating password protection, as I'm the owner and only user of the computer in question and I've never set a password. Perhaps I should have titled my post differently. Anyway, the problem, as I longwindedly stated, is that upon hitting enter with a blank password--a maneuver that does not result in an error message; thus, seems to me no password is required--my computer does a quick loop through 'loading your personal settings' to 'saving your settings' then back to the window with 'Name: Administrator' and 'Password: [blank]', as if I deleted something I shouldn't have during the abridged course of the avast! scan. Please, will you reread my original post, carefully and to the end, then consider reopening the topic? I need to use my computer but I don't have enough knowledge to fix it myself. Thank you for your time.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 07 April 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

Try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console of the XP CD?

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#4 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've no recovery disk--long story, bad media--but my friend has a genuine XP Professional CD. I'm running XP Home, do you think that I could use her disk?

#5 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thank you Garmanma :thumbsup:.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Your friend's XP disk has the same Recovery Console as any MS XP disk...or you can download an .iso file and burn it to bootable CD and have your own copy of the Recovery Console.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

If you go that route, the downloaded file must be burned using an .iso-burning program, such as Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

Louis

#7 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Thanks. I'll make my own copy when I sort out my problem; I think I'll even add it to the boot menu. Now I'm using my friend's XP CD, but after running chkdsk in the recovery console, it reads 'The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked'. Any ideas?

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 07 April 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

My experience...chkdsk /r will run, regardless of whether the volume is clean...when the command is executed from the RC.

I don't know.

Louis

#9 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

After a Google session I decided to run--it's still running; at 72% completed--chkdsk /r. Not quite sure what to expect. Also, I had to disable booting to the HD in order to boot from CD. Ahhh, you seem well informed: is there a 'newer' recovery console, one for sp3, that I can download and install (eventually), or would the one on my friend's XP Pro SP1or2 be OK? Thanks.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

I am so sorry you are having more puter problems.

If you can get to System Restore, try restoring it by picking the latest date before you made those changes to your drivers

Oops, rereead and see that as of now, you cannot get there. If you ever get it to load without rebooting right away, try doing this. I originally missed that last line about it returning you to the password screen and thought you were just sitting where you didn't have anything on your desktop.

Btw, the Avast forum has several people getting false positives from Avast on video drivers.

Edited by Stang777, 07 April 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#11 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

Yep, the Eye-Die-Ott is back. Presently running chkdsk /r from the recovery console of a friend's XP CD, but I'm half-kicking myself because I forgot to do this in safe mode :thumbsup:.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

Eye-Die-Ott?????????????

#13 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

That's 'idiot' with a thick italian accent :flowers:. Anyway, chkdsk /r just finished, I typed exit to reboot, and it's still the same: a ten second loop from password window hitting enter to 'Loading personal settings' to 'Saving your settings' then back to password window :thumbsup:. Maybe I'll try in safe mode, just to know I have. And any ideas are more than welcome.

#14 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

Geez, now I can't even get to safe mode . . . :thumbsup: .

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

Well if I you were one of those, I probably would have figured out what you meant, but since you are not, I was a little lost, but now I feel like one of those for not figuring it out, lol.

As for the problems you are having, I really have no clue how to help so I will leave you to the experts here. Sorry I cannot offer any helpful ideas. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users