Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems, problems, problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fixmeplz

fixmeplz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

hello all,

i hope someone can help...
due to a lovely virus i had to reformat my computer...since then i have had a range of niggling issues

1/ sporadically when i shut down my computer i receive a lovely bleep with the following message

"dwwin.exe - DLL Initialization Failed -
The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down"

i have googled it and tried to find a solution but the only one i could really understand was to run a scandisk but this failed to resolved the issue

2/ how to disable 'autorun'

i have tried using these two links:
http://www.engadget.com/2004/06/29/how-to-...run-on-windows/
http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/autorun.htm

the first one was recommended to my by Extremeboy (thank you very much again for all your help before) and worked for me before i reformatted but wont work now

3/ the start up screen and shut down menu looks as though it belongs Windows ME (or something earlier than XP). i know this isnt that serious an issue but i would like to sort it and wonder if this could mean there may still be something wrong with my computer

any and every help would be very much appreciated

cheers

k

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

When you reinstalled Windows did you install all the hardware drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

May I add that you may have been in Windows classic mode?

#4 fixmeplz

fixmeplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:18 AM

i believe so. when i go to systems/hardware everything looks ok...is there any way to check

cheers

k

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

If all your devices look okay in the Device Manager then they are probably okay.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 fixmeplz

fixmeplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

i have run the 'error checking' and it seems to have fixed the message error....i am pretty sure that i had already done it previously but it seems to have work so fingers crossed, so a big thank you is in order

is there anything i can do about the 'auto run' and the 'classic view' of my start-up and shut down screen (everything else looks like vista)

look forward to your responses

cheers

k

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Can you give me a little more info on the autorun problem. What procedure are you using and what happens. Any error messages?

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

For the "WINDOWS ME" problem, just right click "MY COMPUTER". Select Properties, Select Advanced TAB, select the performance "SETTINGS" button, and make your EVERYTING is enable to make it turn back into XP. :thumbsup:.

Or:

Right click your desktop

Select Properties

Then Set your theme to MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP. :flowers:

Thanks

~StickDude101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users