Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop and Taskbar missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 digigirl

digigirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I am running Windows XP Prof SP3 a couple of days ago my desktop and startup taskbar disappeared and I was left with a blue screen. The only way to get them back was to run the task manager using ctrl+alt+del, new task and type in explorer.exe this returned my icons. This worked okay for a few times when I shut down and started up again but now it has gone back to a blue screen on startup. Is there anything I can do so i dont have to open up the task manager and type in explorer.exe everytime. Hope someone can help me as this is driving me nuts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu - #117 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 digigirl

digigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for that but have tried your suggestion to no avail, still when I start up desktop icons and start menu missing and I still have to use task manager and type in explorer.exe to get my them back. Any other suggestions?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Go back to Kelly's Korner and try #195 on the right.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 digigirl

digigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Have tried #195 but this has made things worse. Now when I ctrl+alt+del to get up task manager when I type in explorer.exe it just hangs and I have to reboot.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 digigirl

digigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

I rebooted in safe mode, did the error checking, when I shut down and restarted everything was fine, icons on desktop and taskbar, but this morning I have downloaded lastest updates, rebooted computer and am back to the same problem of having to use the task manager to get my icons and start button back again.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

Try running the system file checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users