Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router speed and improvements!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

A friend of mine has just purchased a Dell XPS 1530 laptop. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a Internal wireless card that support an N Router. it's the 1395 Dell Wireless minicard. What are there options for using an N Router. Is it possible to buy a Built in or external PCI card that supports N capability router. She currently has a linksys G router. I guess she could buy high gain antenna's. Any suggestions either to improve the Linksys G Router signal or making the change to N Wireless capability. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

That's an upgrade option when you purchase that laptop. -- $30-35 extra
What's the laptop being used for? If it just to access the Internet, than who cares for the extra speed that you get with N.
I have G in my house, but will be upgrading to N to accommodate Video streaming to my TV/AV equipment. If it wasn't for that need, I would be happy with G.
JC

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

I recommend the moderately priced Dell 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini card.

-or-

Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

These can be bought at the Dell Store online.
They will work. I checked compatibility for you!

They are stronger and better.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the tip on Compatible PCI Express Minicards. What's the best way to check compatibility with a computer. Is there a website for this? The reviews on the Dell 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini card were very average. People gave the Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card some better reviews. Would that be a good fit to use with the Linksys N WRT 160. Is it hard to put in the Express Minicard into a laptop? Appreciate your feedback.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Dell.com. Search for the card name and click the compatibility button on the product page.

You can also create an account, and set your computer as default, so you may see products for your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users