Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting C#

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have not a clue what I am doing. I found some guide and it was trying too show a basic program. I loaded Microsoft Visual C# And I am SOOOO lost.

I assume its create new project, now which project do I create? :S I tried console application and now its like run this line from the command prompt.

Does any one know of any guides that will help instead of confusing me?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

Depending on your level of programming skills, there are a few different paths to follow. If you have no programming experience, then console programs are the way to start. You can run them from within Visual Studio, so there is no need to use the command line. If you already have some programming experience, then you can start with a Windows Forms project. Either way, there are a good number of tutorials available. The best tutorials are from Microsoft, and there are a number of good places to start:
The Basics
More Advanced
Beginner's Videos

That ought to get you started. If you have any questions about how to do things, please ask. When you do, please tell us what you are doing, any relevant links (for example, to the tutorial that you are using), and show us your code. I am primarily a Java developer, but I have been working on C# projects and other .NET related projects for about 6 months, so I have some good experience. I am also a Student Partner for Microsoft, so I have some good references that may help.

#3 Lon3sword

Lon3sword

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Well, I've tried Visual C# and soon stopped using it. No, its not bad or something. just that I was not interested. The site admin has given you a perfect answerer. But I want to introduce you to a new language.
Its called processing and is based on Java. I don't if its damn useful in the future.....but I know that its damn fun to use it. You learn to create graphics and all sorts of wonderful (maybe) from the first day itself. I think its wonderful! Give it a try:

http://processing.org/

Also, you'll need Java development kit to run the program. I've started using it just yesterday and its pretty interesting.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:50 PM

According to Jesse Liberty, a well known author of many programming books, to learn .NET basics you need to work from command line programs, using the VC# command line tools. Once you are done, learning the basics, you can go on to learn Windows Forms and later other advanced topics.

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

C# can be easy, or hard, depending on your level of interest. I took Object Oriented C# this semester, and at first I had a strong interest in it. But it's command line based, so it's gotten very boring. We just finished a unit on methods and classes, starting another unit on passing to different methods, and I'm lost. I thought command prompt programming would be fun/interesting. Boy, was I wrong.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Let's clear up a little FUD here. Programming languages are neither 'command line based' or 'gui' based. That just doesn't even makes sense. One can create console based programs that are run from a command line and print to a console, or one can run a gui from a command line.

.NET is a platform to which one programs using one of a variety of languages, including C#, C++, VB, and WMP, to name a few. You do not need to work from a command line; You can work from any number of IDEs, or you could simply use notepad. Assuming you mean Jesse Liberty, Silverlight senior Development Manager, then I would have a very difficult time believing that you found anywhere that said " to learn .NET basics you need to work from command line programs, using the VC# command line tools", because that just doesn't make sense, especially since the semi-quote hints at a philosophy for learning to program, which is simply that the best way to learn any programming language (of which .NET is not) is to use the simplest means possible, and compile from the command line. The purpose of doing so is so that one learns the basics of programming, and understands what the IDE is doing when it packages and compiles an application.

so it's gotten very boring.

Of course it is boring. You don't know anything yet, and what little you do know, you don't know how to put together to do anything really useful yet. You have to learn the basics first.

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

Edit:

I'll just shut up.

Edited by Uraiser, 08 May 2009 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users