Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep getting log out of sites using Firefox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

After the recent upgrade of Firefox I keep getting logged out of sites I have never had any problem with before. I checked to see if cookies were enabled and they are. Any input would be appreciated.
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

Make sure you are not running any proxies.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Also, check

Tools>Options>Privacy>

Checked box? beside Always clear my private data when I close Firefox. If you want this option enabled, please click Settings and make sure that Cookies is not checked.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Jay is correct as long as you are only getting logged out when reopening firefox. If you get signed out while on the site, there may be another problem.

#5 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for answers. I am not using a proxy.

The problem is happening while I am logged in. If I stay logged in but don't use the site for an hour or so then I get logged off. At first it was happening to several different sites now it is down to just two or three. Kind of strange.
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Is it possible that you are getting disconnected for just long enough to be logged out?

#7 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

Is it possible that you are getting disconnected for just long enough to be logged out?

Don't think so. I have never had any problem in the past, it just started all of a sudden and seemed to coincide with the newest update to FireFox. I may reinstall just to see if it helps but I really don't want to so I was trying to figure out if it could be something else and not really connected to the new update.

I never use IE anymore but I still have it on my system so I think I'll update and see if the same thing happens when I use it.

Posted Image

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Reinstalling FF is simple and you will keep all of your settings and I think even your add-ons. It takes just a few minutes. I would recommend doing that.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hello TheWall.

This issue relates to either cookie storage is corrupt or the browser itself.

Well, I did a quick research and found out some things that may help you. :thumbsup:

1. Got to Start>>Run
2. Type in %appdata% and hit OK.
4. Find Mozilla >> Firefox >> *xxProfile*
5. You will see the cookies.txt (if it exists) and cookies.sqllite files
6. Delete both of those files and reboot.

See if it works.

Here's a few more options:

Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy and make sure that you uncheck "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox".
Restart FF

Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy. Make sure that the following settings are true - "Accept Third Party Cookies" and "Keep until they expire".

Restart FF and reboot see if it works.

Regarding Reinstalling FF.

Reinstalling FF is simple and you will keep all of your settings and I think even your add-ons. It takes just a few minutes. I would recommend doing that.

Reinstalling Firefox will remove all passwords and bookmarks. Don't know if that changed though but for the earlier version.

Export bookmarks in Firefox
In Firefox, click on Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks>>Import and Backup>>Export as HTML
Save it to your desktop

Export Remembered Passwords
In Firefox, click on Tools>>Options>>Security>>Saved password>>show passwords
Take a screenshot of the screen
Alt+Prnt Scrn buttons
Woops, forgot to mention, open MSPaint from Start>>All Programs>>Accesories>>Paint
Click on EDIT>>PASTE
Save it to your desktop.

Also, I suggest you remove the following two folders after uninstalling FF and before reinstalling FF.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Good luck :flowers:

With regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Bookmarks are kept on a reinstall. I remember reinstalling FF2 or an earlier version of FF3 and I do not recall having to re-bookmark or import my bookmarks again.

#11 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

I appreciate the input guys :thumbsup:

@xblindx

I am hoping to solve the problem without a reinstall but if I do thanks for the information

@extremeboy

I am going to try the first thing you suggested and see what happens. I had already checked the privacy options and they are OK. Will see if the other works.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users