Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLOW p2p downloads over wireless!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hi! after recetnly setting up a wireless netowkr in my home, i have had a couple of problems

Firstly: i share my aol broadband connection wiht my laptop and pc. The p2p downlaod speeds areifne on the pc but over wireless 2 my laptop they are very slow. I tired disbaling WEP but this didnt really help.

Secondly: i get disconnected quite a lot!

Hope somoene can help!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

The slow d/l speeds over wireless and the disconnects are probably related.

The first culprit is making sure the areas the wireless access point and the laptop are in
are free of obvious interference. Cordless phones are often to blame. Is the laptop reporting a strong signal? Might need to move the router to a better location.

Next try and configure the router (administrative console) for a different SSID channel and see if it stabilizes things.

After that I would see about fixing your laptop's IP address from the router rather than having it assigned DHCP (this is done at the router, not by the laptop).

#3 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Hi!

I have just changed the channel, but i got disconnected again.... not sure wether it is aol now or the wireless network as aol tends to disconnect regurlarly!

How do i assign the laptop an ip address wihtout dhcp?

I have a netgear dg824m adsl router

Thanks

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

The way to tell whether it is the wireless/router or AOL would be to spend some time with it just directly plugged in to the AOL 'modem' via ethernet or ethernet plugged into a port on the router. If it's AOL then I can't help you except to say call them up and try and demand some service; perhaps the modem needs replacing?

On the other hand, if it's the wireless then one thing to try that I have found will prevent random drops from the router is to have your router assign your laptop a fixed IP address and not a DHCP assigned one. This should be configurable from the router's administrative console. They vary a bit from mfgr to mfgr but the essence is to plug your computer directly in to the router (ie. don't try and configure it via wireless) and direct your browser to the IP address for the router (typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1). You will be prompted for a name (Administrator or Admin) and a password. This should really be covered in the booklet that came with the router or worst case can be downloaded from your router's mfgr homepage at supporting documents. In any event, the gist is to get into the Administrative console and go to where your laptop is identified by MAC address, computer name and IP address. Chances are the IP is being assigned via DHCP and you can change that and re-assign the laptop the same IP address if you want but based on MAC or name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users