Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting HP after Malware... Have Recovery partition though.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buzzhunter

buzzhunter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Thanks to the help of Jat90, I believe that I now need to reformat my computer to be absolutely sure I am free of malware. However, I have a partitioned hard drive. C: is my main operating drive, but there is a D: drive for recovery.

I was wondering why I do not have the XP discs. These came loaded on the computer (it's an HP). Is it possible that D: has eeverythign Ineed to reformat the main drive C: AND reload my XP OS? Perhaps Office as well (I think that came loaded too). I am not at the infected computer at the moment so I can't be more specific, but since I just placed an order for XP, I wanted to know if maybe I should cancel it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve

P.S. Big ups to Jat90 for the speedy Malware help! Even if we didn't clean it, Jat was awesome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yes the HP has a recovery partition
Did you also scan that partition to make sure it is virus free?

HP recovery CD's

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=376085
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 buzzhunter

buzzhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I scanned the whole computer, but will do another scan on D: specifically. I totally forgot about this before order my XP, home this works and I can return it unopened!

Thanks for the help, I'll post if I make any progress. Any other suggestions/thing to look for are welcome as well.

Steve

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

I can return it unopened!

It never hurts to have a copy. Just in case
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 buzzhunter

buzzhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Thanks again. I was able to completely reformat and start fresh with the XP sitting in my recovery partition. Took a while to get all the updates, but I'm back up and running! Now I just need to reload all my programs and personal files... and make sure to stay updated with my security MANUALLY! I think I will return the unopened XP though... $187 for something I already have on my recovery drive seems silly. But thanks!

Steve

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

FWIW: Since you aren't going to have a copy of XP...and will continue to run XP as your O/S...you might want to start making/maintaining disk images of your system...for the next time (there's seldom only one).

Then you would not have to worry about reinstalling programs or data files, assuming that you do timely backups of the system.

Louis

#7 buzzhunter

buzzhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thanks, I was thinking I would do that this time! :-)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

You are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users