Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

will computer ever take over the world???

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

will they or will thay not? tell me what you think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

Yes.

I think that eventually we'll have computers in everything, absolutely everything. They'll control the utilities, the food supply, military and civilian satellites, communications, even our cars and other personal items. These computers will be programmed with the directive to see to the protection and advancement of the human race. Being computers, they'll take this directive to its logical extreme and strive to protect humanity from its own worst enemy: itself.

See for reference:
Star Trek (TOS) "Return of the Archons"
Star Trek (TOS) "The Apple"
Colossus: The Forbin Project
AI (movie, not the book)

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Shades of Sleeper? I hope not. I know I can knit a pair of socks better than a computer.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

:thumbsup:

I think that if a computer takes over the world, it will die eventually, due to some hardware issue and other faults.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:16 AM

you mean they havent already???? oh no dont tell Bill gates that! or it might get worse!

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:22 AM

You are right, do not tell him!

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Tell Gates? Why he already knows! Windows 95 crashed! right in front of Gates on national tv...what show was it Johnny Carson? He laughed and said people will still buy it. And they did...and that is the sad part. We accepted the mediocrity of this program and that is what scares me.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

because, if computers dont control the world yet we don't wanna bust bill gates bubble, otherwise he might try a virtual takeover. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Is Bill Gates retiring soon?

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

:thumbsup: Bill Gates bashing is not the topic here LOL.. Actually.. people criticise him to death but was there anything better? So he cornered a market.. Did anyone offer up an alternative at the time? LOL You can bet I would have done the same if I were in his shoes. hehehe

ontopic.. I think as long as the computers aren't named Hal we will be ok.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

ontopic.. I think as long as the computers aren't named Hal we will be ok.

They named it HAL because IBM refused to have their name associated with a homocidal computer (go figure.) HAL is a one-letter shifted version of IBM.

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

WOW no kidding, I never knew that. Don't IBM know there is no such thing as bad PR? LOL

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, Pandy, but was there not Apple? IBM was for the business end with DOS to boot and Apple was for the artistic crowd, desk top publishing and music. So yes, there was "something else out there".

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

yes, and then of course theres the almighty linux. . .

picard5.jpg

#15 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

:off topic:linux was around but it wasn't very similar to the linux we use today, also it relied upon a users ability to connect to the internet to get it if i remember correctly. Windows came preloaded on machines in areas where there was no internet.

aside from that computers have already taken over the world Neo. Now pick the Red pill or the Blue pill.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users