Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I did use one

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrv

jrv

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

I was having problems w/slow computer & freezing up.
A friend installed a reg cleaner a few months ago to help. But things kept getting worse til It crashed. I had to reinstall windows .
Could that have been the cause? He is very good w/computers & swears by his reg cleaner.
Also, what abt smart defrag being installed? Is that necessary?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 08 April 2009 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

About reg cleaners - sorry I just searched for the "BC-statement on reg cleaners", but cannot find it anymore, maybe someone will post a link - they do more harm than good. Best is to leave the registry alone unless there are specific problems and then only when guided by an expert.
I cannot conclude your PC crashed because of the reg-cleaner, but evidently it didnt improve things.

About the defragger, it is always good to defragment your disk on a regular basis. This isnt the cause your PC crashed.

If you re-installed windows, I strongly recommend NOT to use any reg-cleaner.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

It is quite possible.
Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:trumpet: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:flowers: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:thumbsup: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

On the other hand, well-known expert of Windows technologies and author of SysInternal tools, Mark Russinovich says:

Registry cleaners have always been popular, but I never paid much attention to them. I originally thought that there might be valid reasons for their
existence, but over time changed my mind, only to recently recognize that even today they can help maintain Registry hygiene.

Reference:
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...ct-of-life.aspx

#5 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thank you to everyone. I did reinstall windows (had to) BUT, I got to thinking about what all has happened since he put reg cleaner on here, so I thought I'de ask ya'll. The person who helped me get my computer back on told me abt this site. I'm glad i didn't install the cleaner again before I came here.
THANKS!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users