Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Freeze or BSOD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Viewtifreak

Viewtifreak

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Hi there. I've recently been trying to play a few different games, all of which seem to crash within an hour or less. Here's a list of games I try and approximate crash time:

Fallout 3 - An hour to an hour and a half
Need For Speed Pro Street - 5-10 minutes
Day of Defeat 1.3 - An hour to two hours
GTA IV - Again, 10 minutes or so

Anyway, you get the idea. Now, what USUALLY happens is the game just crashes, and gives me one of those 'send error report' messages. However, a few times I have had my games BSOD on me. When they do, the errors I get most are "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" and the file is usually 'win32k.sys' and today while playing Brother's in Arms, I got a new BSOD error that said "Bad_Pool_Caller" I believe, and I don't think it gave me a file. Anyway, I assume it has something to do with either my motherboard, my RAM, or my drivers. IF there's anything critical I left out please let me know and I'll get that info as soon as I can. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this.

(Moderator edit and note: thread moved to more appropriate forum, and Topic Description revised. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 21 April 2009 - 07:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

What are your system specs? Please include power supply wattage and how many amps on the +12V rail.

This is what I think could be wrong:

1. Bad Ram. Run memtest overnight or while you're away from the computer for a few hours. memtest86.com . You'll need to download and burn the iso image to a disc. After you burn it, you'll need to restart your computer, and boot off the disc. We can help you with this if you don't know how to.

2. Failing Power Supply. Do you have another one you could try?

3. Overheating. Have you cleaned your case out recently? Make sure cables aren't blocking air flow in your case.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Viewtifreak

Viewtifreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

Hi there, sorry I haven't responded in a while. Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to get memtest to work (sorry, I'm not very good with this stuff) so I tried a stress test called sp2004 (recommended by the company I purchased my computer from) and it came up with a "STOP" and said the memory test failed. I tried this individually with each of my 4 sticks in each slot, and every test came out the same. So today, I purchased two brand new sticks of RAM and run the test on them and the same stop error comes up. Does this mean I have a faulty motherboard or faulty slots? I mean, I assume any answer I get is gonna be bad news. Anyway, thank you very much for your response, and if you have any idea on what the problem is here, please let me know. Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 Viewtifreak

Viewtifreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

Also I don't know if this means anything, but today before I got my new RAM, I changed the voltage settings with the old RAM in in the Bios to 1.80V instead of 1.95V and then my computer gave a beep code error when I turned it on that was "Long Short Short"

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

What is the make and model of your motherboard?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Viewtifreak

Viewtifreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

My motherboard is an ASUS M2N-E SLI.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

I should have asked you what brand and model is the ram, the new and the old. What is the frequency of the ram (ie; 667mhz, 800mhz 1066mhz, etc.)

I don't have much hands-on experience with AMD setups, but I think they are usually a little more picky about the ram you use.

#8 Viewtifreak

Viewtifreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Old RAM is OCZ PC2 6400 (800 MHz) 1GB Dual CH Gold Edition XTC 5-5-5
New RAM is Kingston PC2-5300 (667MHz) and was a kit of two 1 GB Sticks.

Thank you for your speedy responses :thumbsup:

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Both those types of ram should work with that motherboard.

I want you to put only the two sticks of the new ram in. Make sure you have them in the same colored slots, both in black, or both in yellow. I can't tell which slots are number 0, and number 1, (I think it may be black though) but they might be labeled. You'll want it in the first slots. Now, I want you to reset your cmos by unplugging the computer, and taking the quarter-sized battery out for a few minutes. This will set your BIOS settings to the defaults.

If this fails, I think it may be your motherboard at fault if memory test failed. You could always try the ram in a different computer, if it's compatible, then run the tests.

#10 Viewtifreak

Viewtifreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

No luck sadly. The memory test still fails and games still crash. Thank you for your help, but it looks like bad news for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users