Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Incessant) display driver igfx error - Presario/Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Farless

Farless

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Purchased a Compaq Presario CQ60 211DX w/Vista 32 four days ago and within hours screen goes black, recovers, and a message states that "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

So I assume the driver needs updating and I update. The driver, Mobil Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, shows that the driver has been updated: Driver Date, 2/18/2009, 7.15.10.1659, and shows no conflicts. HOWEVER, the problem is getting worse, and last night the error message occurred in such rapid succession that my only recourse was to shut down.

I have Googled the problem and it appears to happen to many users of Vista regardless of notebook manufacturer and I have not found a solution or work around. There was a suggestion that their are two video or display drivers in conflict and that the early version must be removed. I'm not sure how to check for this other than device manager which shows only 1 display driver.

It seems many gamers (particularly WarCraft have this problem) but I am not a gamer, I use laptop soley for school and browsing. I do not have anything loaded onto this laptop yet, it is all factory.

Here is the Vista Error Report:

Video Hardware Error

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20090404-1749.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 84DFD290
BCP2: 8BC1A490
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Rhonda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

Purchased a Compaq Presario CQ60 211DX w/Vista 32 four days ago

4 days?? Send it back. There's no telling what else you might encounter
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Farless

Farless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Of course I was going to take it back if it wasn't a simple fix. But after Googling the problem I figured it was probably inherent in Vista 32 or whatever and I might as well try and resolve it myself if I could.

You can close this board as I figured out the problem (I think) :thumbsup:

I had read somewhere that a new driver was loaded at the factory over an old one, perhaps this is the case.....Intel, Compaq, HP, and Vista are clueless as to the problem or so they would have us think and their help was, as usual, not much.

However, there were two display drivers and they were obviously conflicting. They were both Mobil Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, although they had differing dates. So for those with the same problem (seems to be alot of us out there) my fix was to boot into safe mode, delete both drivers and then upon restart, Vista reloaded the driver. Did this shortly after I posted here orginally and have not had the error message since.

Go figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users