Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UltraDefrag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hello All,
I recently tried UltraDefrag. I set it to defrag last night. This am after running @ 5hrs it was only 10% done. I'm not sure if that has to do with the indexing service or not. Indexing service is off.( I keep my drives defraged with built in defrag several times a week) It took the built in defrag an hour to straighten the drive back out.
My question is, Does the indexing service have to be on in order for the defrag to work properly ? If so, is there any benefit to defraging the drive then turning the indexing service off, back on again for defrag ? My comp runs much faster with indexing service off. Thanks, Joe

Edited by craneop, 07 April 2009 - 01:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

I reinstalled works fine now.

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Indexing service is used to extract content from files to construct indexed catalogs. This facilitates efficient and rapid searching.

#4 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Thanks, Jay-P VIP. I was under the impression that defragmenters used the indexing service also. Thanks for the reply.joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users