Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba lap top won't boot.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

Gooday all. My daughter came to me this arvo and said her lappy wouldn't start. So I took a look at it and tried what I consider to be normal attempts to get it to boot up. Its a Toshiba satellite pro l300. Turn it on and let it go it displays a start up screen offering options to press f2 for set up or f12 for boot menu. Neither of these options work. I tried using a grub disk to boot it up but does not crank from disk. The OS is Vista, it's fairly new she got it for Xmas. I can not get into it any way I have tried so I'm asking here for some pointers to get the sucker up and running. All help most gratefully received. And if I have posted this in the wrong place I apologize and please shift it to the most appropriate forum. Thanks in advance, James.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hi there

Is it still under Warrentee? If yes , send it back to toshiba, mine I got for christmas the same time. and mine is giving no trouble , did she do something , touch something she shouldn't have touched in settings?

Regards

Roger

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Send it back to Toshiba.

I have several models of such. The first had a hard drive die at 8 months.
I sent it back.
They were quick and sent me a new same system within two weeks.

BTW - four Satellite lap tops on 24/7/365
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. She claims she has not done anything unusual and I tend to believe that would be the case. Oh well, kids won't be watching any movies on the upcoming Easter road trip. Thanks again and have a happy and safe holiday.

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Quick update. I sent the machine to Toshiba in Brisbane and they found a faulty ram module to be the culprit. When she bought it they offered to upgrade the machine to 2gb ram for only $50, s she accepted this and they took out the perfectly good 1gb Toshiba and replaced it with an Amicroe unit that is not supported by Toshiba. Any way, we have it back now, it only took them a day to turn it around sop I am very happy with that. Thanks for your help. James.
PS I tried to mark this as solved but dont have the option to edit the first post title, could someone mark this as solved please.

Edited by wavemaker, 21 April 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

nice turn around time. Good luck.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users