Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP problem? - can't browse usual sites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MHiggins

MHiggins

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:06 PM

Hi there,

I'm new to your community and I'm here because I have a big problem. Since yesterday I can't browse like I normally do!. I've got XP service pack 2 with IE6 and I can't access my web based email. I've also found that I can't get Norton to do a LiveUpdate and when I go onto the Norton site I can't browse far enough in to register a problem. The errors are variations on:

cannot find server, page cannot be displayed and check you internet connection.

I've tried Opera and Mozilla Firefox with the same results. Also, when I go to www.msn.com it is all text-based with a message saying I should update my browser - well chance would be a fine thing as I can't update anything at the moment and I'm running IE6 anyway! I haven't done anything different than I usually do and I'm running out of ideas of things to try next. XP has automatic updates switched on so it should be up to date.

Interestingly, I have a hub and the other computer on the network is fine - I just don't know what's happening!

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it because this computer is driving me mad!

Thanks for your time,

MH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

Did this problem start just after installing SP2?

Do you have a restore date that predates the problem? If so, use it.

#3 MHiggins

MHiggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:26 PM

Hi there,

No, I've had SP2 for months running fine. I think it may have happened after my partner went on ebay yesterday - do you know what browser/firewall or other settings that might have changed?

Cheers,

MH

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:43 PM

Just going on ebay wouldn't have changed firewall settings. Your partner may have done so.

What firewall are you using? If it is the one that comes with Windows XP i suggest you replace that with one of the freeware firewalls such as ZoneAlarm SE.

The Windows XP firewall is difficient as it only offers protection against incoming threats, not outgoing like Trojans. The other firewalls available protect both.

Zone Alarm SE: http://www.zonealarm.com/

Your problem can also be that the settings in your browser might be set too high. Have you changed them recently?

Open IE, then try clicking on "tools", then "internet options", then "security" and then click "default".

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

You can try the XP Winsock Fix for Microsoft Windows .

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 MHiggins

MHiggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:54 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your replies - I'm now a happy bunny again after getting it sorted out :thumbsup:

I'm using Norton Internet 2005 which has a firewall but since I couldn't use the Live Update function of that either I didn't think that can be the problem - would it change settings that would make it impossible to connect to its own server....(see below for more details!)?

I reset the IE security settings to default but this didn't help. I didn't think it's an IE problem because I couldn't browse properly with Mozilla or Opera either.

So, if it's not IE and I can't update either Norton or XP because I can't get onto the pages that will let me do that, I felt a bit stuck. I tried the Winsock repair which went smoothly but didn't help so I went back to the Norton firewall.

After going to firewall->configure-> programs and scrolling down the list of programs I noticed that Microsoft Host for win32 services was blocked. I switched this to automatic and BINGO! problem solved. I have now updated XP and Norton and all is well with the world!

Thanks again for your help,

MH

#7 MHiggins

MHiggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:57 AM

Hi Leurgy,

Thanks for your help. I notice you're from Canada. We're going there in August (we're from the UK) and staying in Toronto for 2 weeks. Have you got any recommendations for things we should see/do while we're there?

Don't worry if you don't want to reply - I'm still grateful for your help!

Cheers,

MH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users