Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Account Info

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Hi Guys,

I am running Windows XP Media Center edition. It's my personal pc and I primarily use it. I have one user account created (that is admin a/c) and like most people do I login thru that and use windows.

I wanted to create another user account with very limited facilities. This is because someone else will also be using my pc so he can login thru the other a/c. I know windows xp allows you to create a limited user account but inspite of that user can still modify or delete files on pc.

I wanted to know how can I create & customize a user account that allows a person only to use Internet explorer for browsing and he can user basic applications like MS Word, Notepad, Adobe reader etc. The user can only save files on desktop. He should not be able to modify other files on pc and he cannot enable folder options or show/hide all files etc.

Any info on how to do that will be appreciated.

Thanks,

GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

I believe that would involve changing/modifying user permissions.

I don't have any Media Center versions of XP, so I cannot tell you how to do that...but I can provide some reading material.

Which edition of Media Center?

Reference: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-6152061.html

If this were XP Home...I'd simply install the Security Tab and use that to control the new account. The Security Tab allows an admin to define user access to files/drives more precisely.

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

In dealing with permissions, I would advise against using the DENY column for any user. Rather, I would suggest using the ALLOW column and not allowing any privileges to users which you don't want them to have. I can control all the privileges for a drive, a folder, a file...by right-clicking on same.

Louis

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for your reply dude.

Windows XP Media Center edition is like Windows XP Pro with Media Center capabilities. But when I right click on a folder and goto properties I do not see the security tab. Is it because I have not enabled sharing or so or I have only 1 user account right now enabled.

I am attaching image of what I see. Would like to know how can I get security tab.

Thanks.

Posted Image

Attached Files

• Attached File  prop.JPG   35.56KB   2 downloads

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:58 AM

Unlike XP Pro, if you are using XP Home, you have to be in Safe Mode to have a security tab. I do not know if it the same in XP Media Center but it seems like it probably is so try doing this in Safe Mode

#5 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

I got it. I need to disable simple file sharing in order to activate that. Thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users