Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web page sizing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Hi all,

is there a way you can prevent a web page from going off of the screen?

At the moment to see the whole page it's necessary to scroll across.

My son built the website and it fits his screen perfectly, but when l display it on my wife's or my computer the page is too big for the screen.

Any ideas please?

Many Thanks
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

Well one quick and extremely easy fix, is changing your resolution...

But if you would like for the website to be able to change it's layout upon different resolution's... Then you would have to design the layout to be fluid... Using fixed sizes will stay fixed sizes, using percentages, will make it fluid so to speak.

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hi Burn,

Thanks for your reply.

How do you use percentages, is there an idiot's guide somewhere??

Many thanks
Geoff

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I was asking groovicus recently the same thing, and he advised me to use 800x600 resolution for the website, so all can use it without problems.

One way to do this is to use a main table with specified width and put everything in that table like this:

<html>
<body>
<table width=780 align=center cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0><tr><td>
<!-- Put everything here-->
</td></tr></table>
</body>
</html>

You ca experiment with the values of various attributes. What burn1337 said can be achieved by putting width=100% in the table.

Edited by Romeo29, 07 April 2009 - 10:09 AM.

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Basically a fluid design is pretty much the same thing as Romeo there has said... Except instead of giving the table/div a set size, you make the size a set variable... here...

<html><body>
<table width="99%" height="99%">
<tr><td><table width="99%" height="15%"><tr><td>Header</td></tr></table></td></tr>
<tr><td><table width="15%" height="69%"><tr><td>Links</td></tr>'
<tr><td>More Links</td></tr></table></td>
<td><table width="84%" height="69%"><tr><td>Body/Content of the website</td></tr></table></td></tr>
<tr><td><table width="99%" height="15%"><tr><td>Footer</td></tr></table></td></tr>
</table>
</body></html>
The main table is 99% in width and height (this would be basically 100%, it is best to not use 100%, sometimes when using 100%, errors can happen with the display), the header table is 99% width, and 15% height, same as the Footer... As a note, you have already taken 30% of the pages height to the header the the footer, keeping your total size at or below 99% is best practice... So therefore the Links and the Body/Contet would have a 69% height...

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

cool link: Browser display statistics

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Excellent link! The question then becomes. can one afford to alienate those 4%? The second question is, how accurate are those results, and are they applicable to the audience for which you are designing?

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

I agree with your logical questions.

The 4% seems to be, as my Advanced Dreamweaver teacher said: people, especially old, may have vision problems and need a display format visible enough for your eyes.

I run mine at 1280x800. However, as said the default formatting for websites should indeed be 1024x768. That is the median!

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

My only rebuttal is that I work with a bunch of commercial interests that are still running Win98 on ancient hardware. If your website has nothing to offer them, then no problem. If it does, then you may still want to look at making the website scalable.

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

I agree. Scalable websites are much better than set resolution.

I find the code for it easy to conquer as well!

#11 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your excellent input, i'll try your ideas out this evening.

many thanks
Geoff

#12 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

@Geoff777: I agree with what burn1337 said above. You need to make the tables have a relative wight=100% and height=100%. Do not put any images or object on the pages which are larger than the screen. (E.g. Do never put an image or object that is 1000 pixels wide.. for several reasons).

---

@Jay-P VIP, @groovicus: Now netbooks are growing extremely on popularity. Netbooks do not cope well with screen size 1024x768, and you need 800x600 to see anything. I have a 10" netbook and I am using 1024x600. So after things were getting bigger for a while, now things will start to get smaller again.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

@patbox- Good point. I had not even considered Netbooks.

#14 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

Which is why I think it is a good thing to do everything in a fluid aspect... And if there are any areas, sections, or objects in which are going to have a set size, I would make sure that the set size will work with the fluid design, in virtually any resolution... I personally focus for set objects to be based around the 800x600 res....

#15 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Which is why I think it is a good thing to do everything in a fluid aspect... And if there are any areas, sections, or objects in which are going to have a set size, I would make sure that the set size will work with the fluid design, in virtually any resolution... I personally focus for set objects to be based around the 800x600 res....

Even 800x600 is not enough.

First, 800x600 is the screen size, but do not forget you have the address bar, scroll bar, tab bar, windows bar, so you end up which much less.

Second, why should a page work only when maximized? It should also look reasonable when the window is not fully maximized. So that is another point to support flexible design.

Edited by patbox, 12 April 2009 - 06:00 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users