Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 apintpro

apintpro

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

This is the second time this has happened on the computer in question. The first time I reinstalled and lost everything. I am hoping to avoid that this time. Windows XP was installed on the system when I purchaed it from Best Buy and I never received any boot discs (WHY?!)

Anyway, when I start the computer it goes to the cursor screen just past the Windows XP screen. Then it stalls. Currently, it is keeps rebooting by itself every 15 seconds or so. I tried going through the F8 tab and starting from the "Last known good configuration." It then rebooted and did the same thing. I have attempted to start it in safe mode and it will get stuck after loading a screen full of letters, with the last one reading:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\gagp30kx.sys

It will then reboot like before. If I do nothing, it will reboot about every minute.

I wish I could give more detail, but thats all I can give. I've even tried going into the recovery screen, but it will only reboot from there.

All help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/gag...x.sys-7409.html

Apparently, you are not only one. Many people have commented that their PC stalls after loading that DLL.

You should boot from an XP CD. It seems you dont have on, so download RecoveryConsole ISO image and burn it to a CD.
Download ISO from here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
How to burn ISO: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Booting to RecoveryConsole:
1. Change settings in your BIOS so that CD rom is first boot device, save the settings, put the cd you burned in your cd rom drive and restart.
2. When a message is displayed to 'Press any key to boot from CD DVD", press any key
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
4. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
5. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter.
6. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

Once you are in recovery console, type chkdsk /r with space between k and / and press Enter. Let it scan and repair. Once it is done, type EXIT and pres enter to restart.

Remove CD, so you can boot from hard disk. Upon boot from hard disk, choose Safe Mode. If you can start XP into safe mode, then shut down and restart in Normal mode.

Edited by Romeo29, 07 April 2009 - 09:11 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

<<Windows XP was installed on the system when I purchaed it from Best Buy and I never received any boot discs (WHY?!)>>

Because you did not opt for the Best Buy bunch to make you recovery/restore CDs. That is one of the constants on any system they sell to anyone. Even so, you probably could have gone home and made such disks...following instructions provided on the system sold.

System manufacturer and model?

<<The first time I reinstalled and lost everything.>>

I think you missed that hint...perhaps you now need to consider the virtues of

a. Obtaining restore/recovery CDs.

b. Backing up the system routinely and periodically.

The bottom line...without any disks of any sort...you have a system that can rendered useless anytime, by any number of things.

The file referenced is a Windows AGP driver...which is probably damaged and, consequently, won't function properly. Just my guess.

It may take a repair install to replace it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users