Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Sharing suddenly not playing well with others.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

I'm not very good with networking (it pisses me off too much for me to care enough about it), but I did set up a gateway for my Xbox 360 in order to get it to connect to Xbox LIVE through a my PC's dial-up connection for marketplace data and updates; although I have played a few custom games of Halo 3 on it.
It's a direct wired connection with no router. Just a network connection and a shared dial up connection.

Anyway, I had a sudden power outage the other day in the middle of a system update. Fortunately my Xbox was fine but now I can't access my Windows firewall on my PC because the "Internet Connection Sharing" service is disabled. I went to the services editor where I see the ICS set to Automatic but not currently running. I try to start it and I'm told that it can't start because it's either disabled (no) or there are no devices associated with it.
All the programs in it's dependency list aren't started either, so I turned them all on but ICS still won't do anything. Worst still is the fact that I can't even access my PC's media library from my Xbox even though the media sharing software is running. I use that allot so this sucks.

So, basically, after a power outage, my LAN has become stupid. It establishes a connection but I can't share anything on it. I have refreshed all my settings and my PC runs fine except for this. My Xbox isn't the problem either.

I have seen allot of examples of this happening on various message boards but the solutions offered where WAY over my head, involved Vista and/or Linux, and always concluded differently. So it seems that this can happen for many reasons and each with a different solution. Anyone know where I should start to fix this?

---EDIT---
Forgot to mention: My Xbox can't confirm my IP address. When I try to repair my LAN it stops when trying to repair the IP address.

Edited by All Meshed Up, 06 April 2009 - 10:34 PM.

"There must be someway out of here, Said the joker to the thief."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:27 AM

I see that similar posts on this have gone unanswered. So, instead of providing a solution for this issue, can anyone direct me to a good FREE 3rd party ICS program?
Any help is still appreciated as this problem is extremely aggravating.

#3 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

I would start with network setup wizard again. Go to network connections and in left side pane "set up home or small office network" Check this Picture

Make sure all of them are in same work group

3rd party softwares really are not so good as Microsoft I think

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#4 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

"3rd party softwares really are not so good as Microsoft I think"

Yeah, and none are free.

Well I tried the wizard and, as Windows likes to do, it had an error but wouldn't tell me what it it was. That's the most annoying aspect of this whole thing is that I'm getting constant errors but absolutely no explanations.
When I try to access my Windows firewall I'm asked to activate the ICS. When I do, I'm told it can't start... ... ... that's it. No explanation.

I think I'm just gonna re-install Windows. This isn't this computer's only problem...

---EDIT---

I feel I myself should do more to explain things. So here is a list of services that no longer start up automatically even though they are set as such from SERVICES.MSC.

Computer Browser
Internet Connection Sharing
Remote Procedural Call
Mouse Cursor Monitor (This has some kind of error, I think it's unrelated)

Edited by All Meshed Up, 08 April 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Your problem is with Remote Procedural Call... I have had some problems in the past with RPC on others computers... Unfortunately it seems as though RPC might have become corrupted due to the power outage... You could try pressing F8(or F6) when you boot up your computer and choose "Last Known Good Configuration", you could also try using System Restore, to try and restore things back to a state prior to the power outage, you could also try finding a boot cd for repairing windows system files, and finally you could try a re-format... Finding a boot cd for restoring Windows system files, is probably the best way to go about without having to loose your data... Once RPC goes out, it's all hell from there...

#6 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Oh, I never thought about those options. good call. I'll try that.
I'd rather do a complete re-format than a repair install. Reason being that this PC needs it. Only problem is that I have to make an install disc from my i386 folder - I really hope they'll be no problems there but I'll make a backup image just in case.
If you guys don't hear from me again, something went horribly wrong.

---EDIT (I'm noticing a pattern)---

System Restore WORKED! Everything is now just as crappy as it was on Friday but my networks all function again. Thanks Burn for thinking of something that is usually my first choice but for whatever reason I forgot about.

I'm still re-formatting though.

Edited by All Meshed Up, 09 April 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Well All Meshed-up... You are welcome... Though if you want, I could probably help you get your system working all nice and neat... What is wrong with it?

#8 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

it needs to be re-formatted, that's what's wrong with it. :thumbsup:

It's just at the point where it'll have something small go wrong for no apparent reason, then usually just start working again for even less reason. Plus it's a Dell, so I'd like to finally get rid of everything they put in it and just have a nice, fresh, clean Windows install. It's had countless programs installed and removed with no good registry clean-up. Also, I've never done it and would like to have the experience.

I appreciate your help and your offer, I may come crawling back to take you up on it, but for now I think I've got it covered. At least, thanks to you, I can restore my Hard Drive to a still working state if I can't re-format properly.

Oh, do you recommend any particular disk imaging software? Preferably free.

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

Your welcome....

As for imaging software, no I do not... Never really cared enough to go looking for any sorry... When I get back home if you haven't found anything good, I will take a look lol...
As for registry cleaning software, I would recommend CCleaner... I have used it for years, though as with any registry program, I would urge to use cation with them...

Also as a warning for ya, though re-formating is easy, if you make a mistake, then you pretty much have no choice but to re-install... Although it is pretty hard to make actual mistakes with just re-installing...

#10 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

As for registry cleaning software, I would recommend CCleaner... I have used it for years, though as with any registry program, I would urge to use cation with them..

Thank you. I bought Registry mechanic and SpeedUpMyPC for my laptop (not the desktop I'm using right now) and they keep that thing running smooooooooooooth. Damn shame I can't use them on this without buying them again. Gotta love Freeware!
And I always make it a point to save a system restore point before using them.

Also as a warning for ya, though re-formating is easy, if you make a mistake, then you pretty much have no choice but to re-install... Although it is pretty hard to make actual mistakes with just re-installing...

Hence my need for an imaging utility. If I screw up, I can restore my drive to pre-screwup state using another PC.
I've got an imaging program now.

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Yea registry tools can be very useful... Though I never liked SpeedUpMyPc much, it ruined mine a long time ago... Registry Mechanic was always good, but it ran slow for me when I used it... Then I found CCleaner.

Yea it is always good to be able to image your stuff in order to restore it... But I think you should be just fine on your journey with formatting..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users