Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atapi & Intelide don't load => BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 256738

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:18 PM

I am running XP Pro v5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 on a Dell Dementia 4400. When I boot, system/kernel drivers atapi.sys & intelide.sys don't load according to event viewer. They used to, this is a new problem. Trying to burn CD's using Nero gives me a BSOD (sometimes).
The Microsoft support that event viewer sends me to for this error (#7026) is, typically, useless. It tells me to be sure the drivers are in the right place (system 32\drivers)..they are. It tells me to be sure they are the correct version..they are. It said to be sure they are configured correctly (??!) and then blithely says it has no other suggestions.
Well, computer management console leads me to device manager and when I choose view hidden junk, I find yellow ! marks after IntelIde and IDE/ESDI hard disk controller in MY COMPUTER -> Non plug and play drivers. Sure enough, double-clicking on these entries brings up their properties. They say that the "devices" are not present, not working properly, or don't have all its drivers installed (Code 24).
If I try to start the driver it says that it can't be started either because the "device is disabled or has no enabled devices associated with it". Fine...so I opt for troubleshoot and find it is as worthless as can be (to me anyway). It suggests that I try unplugging the "device", blah,blah,blah...Unplug WHAT device??. These miserable drivers are associated with the "IDE/ATAPI Port Driver" and the "Intel PCI IDE Driver". What does that mean in English? If it means the CD drive...well, it certainly is enabled. It works fine with Roxio EZ CD Cremator. Hard drive?..well they can't mean to unplug that!! Can anybody explain what the communication-challenged robots writing these troubleshooting "hints" are trying to say? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

Go to the device manager and delete the devices that have the yellow apostrophe mark. Then reboot and let Windows find them and reisntall them.

If that doesn't work, see if you have a system restore point that predates your problem. If you do, use it.

#3 256738

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Enthusiast

No sys restr pts pre-dating problem but I like the first idea...here goes...

#4 256738

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

It worked. Thanks. Funny thing is...BSOD still happens...turns out to be a win32k.sys problem. Seems to be lots of help available on this particular problem, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users