Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound card working properly but not recognized!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elohyim

elohyim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

What would cause a sound device to be listed as working properly in the "device manager" utility but no sound device is available in "sounds and audio devices" utility?

Also, Windows will not boot in normal mode. It freezes on the load screen.
It works fine in Safe mode with networking, which I am using now. Thanks.

Edited by elohyim, 06 April 2009 - 09:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

Since you can boot into safe mode...I would do so and remove the sound device drivers. I would then see if XP is able to boot normally.

I would do that based on the premise that they are corrupt and incapable of working properly.

Device Manager cannot be relied upon to provide clues that driver files may be damaged...but the fact that the system boots into safe mode but not normally gives a clue that it is a driver problem. Might as well start with the sound drivers.

What sounds and audio devices might you be referring to?

The key question is whether the sounds function is working properly (e.g., you actually hear), not what some utility reflects.

Louis

#3 gnixon72

gnixon72

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Also, Its my understanding that sound card driver's/services aren't loaded when running in safe mode. Running in safe mode is designed to run with just enough drivers and services to get the system up and running for further diagnosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users