Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop missing/corrupt file

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lorixxann

lorixxann

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Hello - my apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

I have a dell laptop - inspiron e1405 windows xp and a few days ago it just started acting weird. I couldn't be on longer then a few minutes without the computer completely freezing, it would just beep at me until i turned it off. It did that for a day and now when i turn it on it says.

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \window\system32\config\system"

It says i can attempt a repair but my computer did not come with a recovery disk.
My question is.. since I dont know what that means is should I even attempt to use a recovery disk? If yes where is a good place to buy from?
And is there anything i can do to save this laptop?

I have not done anything to the laptop since i got the error message. I have just done some online researching.

thank you!!!

Edited by lorixxann, 06 April 2009 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Some info at:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1091713

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

To solve this problem you can follow the steps given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

This solution requires a Windows XP CD or Recovery Console CD. You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 lorixxann

lorixxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

I burned the file to a cd. Inserted into my laptop and hit R when i got the error page and it just restarts and i get the error message again. I am not entirely sure i burned the file right though because i am using someone elses computer.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

When you view the CD in Explorer what do you see?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 lorixxann

lorixxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

nothing happens when i try to view it in explorer

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

What I mean is what files are on the CD?

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 lorixxann

lorixxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Oh sorry im not that computer savvy.
I just saved the rc.iso to the desktop, then dropped into the cd folder and burned it so when I open the cd it just says rc.iso

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

Download and install the freeware version of DeepBurner.

http://www.deepburner.com/

When you first start the program select "Burn ISO Image". Select the Image File as the RC.iso. Insert a blank CD and click Burn.

To boot a Dell computer from a CD I believe that you need to press F12 as soon as the Dell logo appears on the screen.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

I€™d just like to point out that the file in question is a major chunk of the Registry, specifically the one that has all the hardware related settings, services, environment variables, etc.

While a recovery CD should work, I would recommend looking for another copy of the file on the hard drive. Do a search for SYSTEM* (especially ones with .TMP or .BAK) that is about the same size as the corrupted one. If there€™s more than one, use the most recent one. That way, you will (probably) have the latest settings and will need to do less updates and re-installations to all those settings.

Alternately, since there should be a backup of that hive in that same file (backup ControlSets), you could send the existing, corrupt file to someone who knows what they are doing to fix and likely be back up and running like nothing happened. (Just this week I did exactly this, to recover a busted SYSTEM hive. :thumbsup:)

HTH

Edited by Synetech, 07 April 2009 - 08:41 PM.

****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#11 lorixxann

lorixxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

I would love to have someone who knows what they are doing to fix it but i dont know anyone and I cant afford a professional.

and Once I hit burn ISO image i cant do anything after that. the only option is the erase button. I cant find where to open the image file

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

You have to press the button marked "..." on the right hand side under Image file.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

I would love to have someone who knows what they are doing to fix it but i dont know anyone and I cant afford a professional.

How big is the file? Im sure its <10MB (much smaller if you compress it), so you easily could email it or something and I can fix it for you. It shouldnt be too hard; just mount it, check for errors, export, and send back.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#14 lorixxann

lorixxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

nevermind

Edited by lorixxann, 12 April 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#15 lorixxann

lorixxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

Okay I burned the cd, put it in my computer pressed F12 to boot from the cd but got a long error message.

it was a blue screen that said "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps" and then it continues about what to check. I took out the cd and turned my computer off.

Do i continue this way or go back to the website you gave me before http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users