Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

ok, my laptop will connect to my wireless network no problem the first time I try. If I turn off the laptop, or leave with it, then turn it back on, it won't connect to the network again unless i reset the router. It just sits there and says establishing connection.

my wired pc and the laptop are both running windows xp, and the router is a trendnet tew-432brp. the network is protected with a wpa2 password

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

i guess there aren't too many people that check out this networking forum

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:30 AM

So it will connect just fine, until after the connection is lost and then doesn't reset... I would log into your router and make sure everything checks out right with your DHCP server... I might also check into how long the leases are... I would also make sure the DHCP client on your laptop is working fine... Also just as a heads up.. It might be possible that you may need to flash the firmware for you router, or even buy a new one... Sometimes routers can just go out without any reason, or even due to power outages(more rare for that though)...

Do you experience any discrepancies with the connection on your Desktop? Have you done an AV/AS scan recently(updated definitions of course) on the Laptop recently? Sometimes virus' and spyware can cause for network discrepancies...

#4 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Right, we can connect to the connection fine, but if we turn off the lap top and turn it back on we can't connect again until we reset the router. i'm not sure how to check out my DHCP server, all i know is that it is enabled. The lease is a week, but this problem happens daily. It runs fine on the wired PC, and the av/as is run often on both computers

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

It is possible that you may have to flash your firmware in your router... It is also possible that you may need to get a new router, or re-configure your router... Just the same it could be a AV/AS problem... Even routers can get virus's, though it is very very rare, it can happen... Though I would suggest scanning both computers again, if that doesn't work; I might take a look at getting a firmware updated, or replacement for your router, and flash the firmware for the router... (if you need help with that I will do my best to guide you).

#6 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

ok, well my pc is no longer hooked to the router at all, and i was still having the problem. i did download and install new firmware to the router, so we'll see if that does anything, i'll also run a couple other scans for virus' or spyware.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

I would recommend doing the virus and spyware first... Cause if you make a mistake or something just goes wrong with the firmware, you can brick your router, and it will be utterly useless...

#8 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

like i said... i did upgrade the firmware, i was just waiting to see if that was going to fix the problem. So far so good, the computer has been on and off 3 times and it connects no problem.
the av found nothing...

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

Ok so the firmware has helped? ... Good to know...

#10 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

:thumbsup: well i forgot that i had to wire the internet to the laptop to update the firmware on the router. so when i checked on it those few times in a day i totally forgot it was wired in.

soooo...... i'm still having the same problem. when i turn the computer on after it has been connected once before, all i get is limited connectivity.

very annoying to have to restart the router every day

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hhhmm.. And have you done a AV/AS scan? Also what programs have you used, if you have? If you haven't I suggest using either Adaware, or Spyware Terminator, and Avast, or AVG...

#12 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

i've used super anti spyware,malware bytes and i have mcafee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users