Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Embeding life stream Tv or Radio

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Is it legal to embed life stream TV or Radio on your webpage, or do you need permission from the channels? I saw hundreds of web sites doing it, so I am wondering if it is legal or not? Can I embed radios to my web page, just like that?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

not to sure with this one... i suppose it's different for different countries... it is very interesting though... keep me posted!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

If what you embed has copy right protection, then permission is always needed... Though most companies will probably not make much of a fuss with that, but some such as cable companies, or something of the sort, well they just might... So I would suggest making sure you have the permission... For the live TV, I would fist contact a cable company...

#4 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

If what you embed has copy right protection, then permission is always needed... Though most companies will probably not make much of a fuss with that, but some such as cable companies, or something of the sort, well they just might... So I would suggest making sure you have the permission... For the live TV, I would fist contact a cable company...

In my view embedding live tv stream is like embedding rss stream. Does one need permissions for rss stream too?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

RSS streams are put there on purpose so that others can use them. That is sort of the point of having them.

#6 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

RSS streams are put there on purpose so that others can use them. That is sort of the point of having them.

Yes, so my point is LIVE TV STREAMS are also on purpose so others can use them. So I could feel ok embedding live tv stream to my page.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Read the TOS and FAQ of the channel first. If it is clearly stated that you can do so, then go ahead. If it is stated that you cannot, don't do so. If no information is found, then contact the channel by phone or email and ask them. In most cases, it is not allowed as most channels are paid channels.

There are some websites which broadcast live feed of popular channels over internet like ESPN (from TV Tuner card) when some important match is going on. But the feeds are removed as soon as the match is over, sometimes even in the middle of the match because it is illegal.. This all is done to gain the number of clicks on the website.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Yes, so my point is LIVE TV STREAMS are also on purpose so others can use them. So I could feel ok embedding live tv stream to my page.

It is not the same thing. RSS feeds were created for the purpose of sharing news and updated posts. They are a web service offered up so that other websites can use their content. When a web-site has video feeds, it is largely to direct traffic to their site; presumably to where viewers can also view ads that may generate money for the website. That is different. Just because they are putting content out there is not an invitation for you to essentially steal it and embed it into your site. Some sites do allow this though, like YouTube. In fact, they even give you the code. You can assume that if they are openly providing the code to embed a video that it is ok. If you have to dig into the page source code, then you probably are stealing.

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Though Romeo, and groovicus, have pretty much said it all...
Just because you think it should be okay does not mean it is... If you think it is okay to walk up to a person and kill him, that does not make it okay... If you do it, you will still go to jail, even if you think it is okay...

There are laws we have to abide by, though yes there are many ways of legally getting around those laws, but in order to do so, means you have to think and think hard... Be smart, not stupid... For instance, if there is plausible reason for you to kill a man because he is trying to kill you, then you can get away with it, but otherwise, you won't...

#10 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

Good discussion. So would you guys call this site to be illegal: http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/

What I noticed is that the web site has a disclaimer:
All rights of TV contents and trademark are reserved to the right owners. If you are the administrator of a television channel that streams online and you want to add / correct / eliminate your channel from tvchannelsfree.com, please let us know by filling in the form from the contact page.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

That is not a disclaimer. That is a "If you want to use our content, fill out the form".

#12 SCrew

SCrew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

'I think you may have been misinformed. All stations are indeed required to pay royalty fees, but there is no legal obligation on the part of people who embed players on their pages. That obligation falls to the station itself.

Embedding a player is not considered "rebroadcasting". A station may wish to limit the number of people listening, or for other reasons may want to prohibit people from using the station in an embedded player, so it would be considered good form to ask first before embedding stations. However, doing so does *not* make you liable for the payment of royalties.

If you are originating streams yourself, you *would* be liable for the payment of royalties. However, in most countries there is little or no enforcement of this for small-scale webcasters. The usual practice is to wait until you are contacted by the performing rights agency in your country (a private organization, not a government agency).'

SCCrew

Edited by groovicus, 16 August 2010 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users