Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux/Live Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Whats the difference?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Live Linux requires no installation, it runs directly off the CD/DVD.

Just plain old Linux is installed on your hard drive.

Other than that, not much difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

#3 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

Live Linux requires no installation, it runs directly off the CD/DVD.

Just plain old Linux is installed on your hard drive.

Other than that, not much difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

I think we have to be careful here - Linux is no longer just plain old Linux (or rather GNU/Linux for all Stallman supporters).
Most major distributions (with the exception of Debian, possibly Fedora [Red Hat]) have an installation menu which allows you to choose whether you want to install or run Linux from the CD/DVD - Ubuntu could do with changing its first menu item to 'Run directly from the CD' from 'Install or Start' - could be unnerving to Windows users as 'Install' comes before 'Start' and it is not clear if you select this one at first sight if you are going to lose everything - you won't - but it is nice to have the choice.
Basically, running the distribution live lets you discover whether you will be able to use the distro successfully or not.

Best regards,
chameleon437

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

Just to add this, running live off the cd without installing is a secure way of banking online in Windows.

Edited by sleepwalker, 08 July 2010 - 11:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users