Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris48083

Chris48083

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Alright fellas,

I own a WD 320 gig external hard drive. It is the backup to the computer that is currently being reformated (Windows got currupted somehow). When I plugged it into my Mac Book Pro (first time sense upgrading to the new OS), it regonized the drive as a 'backup drive' and started 'initializing' it. Thinking that meant that it was erasing the drive so it could use it to backup the hard drive, I immediately unplugged it. This was apparently a very bad idea.

Now when I plug the drive into my Mac it says that the disk is not readable and asks to either Initialize, Ignore, or Eject. If I click Ignore it does just that, and nothing happens, if I click eject, the drive will power down like it should, I'm not clicking Initialize.

When I plugged it into my work computer (Windows XP), it did some funny things. First it made the Windows sound when you plug-in new hardware. So I clicked in My Computer and the drive doesn't show up (even though drive seems to be active and spinning). So I decided to try to eject it, and reseed the plug. When I double click on the Safely Remove Hardware tab it gives me the option to eject an USB Mass Storage Device, double click that and I have the option to eject 'WD My Book USB Device.' So Windows is seeing the drive, on some level, but won't show it in My Computer.

Help? :thumbsup:

-CW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

FWIW: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...anced/ntfs.mspx

Louis

#3 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hmmm, so there was definitely stuff on the drive before?

When I plugged it into my Mac Book Pro (first time sense upgrading to the new OS), it regonized the drive as a 'backup drive' and started 'initializing' it. Thinking that meant that it was erasing the drive so it could use it to backup the hard drive, I immediately unplugged it. This was apparently a very bad idea.

You’re right; it was a bad idea… maybe.

It sounds like the Mac did indeed see it as a drive to use for backup purposes and tried to initialize it. The question is why. It shouldn’t have done so if it had detected a valid filesystem on the drive. In any case, when you pulled it, it had only written out part of the partition table or whatever it was in the middle of, so now your drive probably has not recognizable filesystem.

The good news is that the data (the actual files and directories) are—almost, if not all—still there on the drive. You can use a data recovery program that is able to recover damaged filesystems.

Unforutnately I cannot advise on a specific program to use since I usually do my drive repairs manually in DOS at low-level. I’ve seen plenty of user-friendly apps that can do this here and there, so I’m sure someone can recommend a good one.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#4 Chris48083

Chris48083
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hmmm, so there was definitely stuff on the drive before?

When I plugged it into my Mac Book Pro (first time sense upgrading to the new OS), it regonized the drive as a 'backup drive' and started 'initializing' it. Thinking that meant that it was erasing the drive so it could use it to backup the hard drive, I immediately unplugged it. This was apparently a very bad idea.

You’re right; it was a bad idea… maybe.

It sounds like the Mac did indeed see it as a drive to use for backup purposes and tried to initialize it. The question is why. It shouldn’t have done so if it had detected a valid filesystem on the drive. In any case, when you pulled it, it had only written out part of the partition table or whatever it was in the middle of, so now your drive probably has not recognizable filesystem.

The good news is that the data (the actual files and directories) are—almost, if not all—still there on the drive. You can use a data recovery program that is able to recover damaged filesystems.

Unforutnately I cannot advise on a specific program to use since I usually do my drive repairs manually in DOS at low-level. I’ve seen plenty of user-friendly apps that can do this here and there, so I’m sure someone can recommend a good one.

Yeah, there was definately a lot data on there.

I thought that maybe the case, I'll have to try Google for date recovery programs. Thanks a lot for the help Synetech!

If anyone knows of a good program that would be awesome.

#5 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

What you need is one that can scan a disk for structures, not just an undelete app.

This page looks promising. I did a few searches and DiskPatch kept popping up. The trial version will let you examine the disk to find your volumes (logical drives), but won’t write them (although once you’ve found them and confirmed that they are there, you can use another tool).

I’ll see if I can find a tool that can recovery disk structures.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

I can personally vouch for Easus Data Recovery Wizard You can download a free trial and find out if the software can recover your files before paying for the registration fee. You wont be able to actually recover the files without paying. I have used it several times to rescue Formatted USB drives. Its very easy to use.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Chris48083

Chris48083
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Easus worked! It was the only one I tried that could actually scan and find the files. Thanks for the advice guys!

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

Glad it worked out for you :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +