Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinkpad emits high-pitched whine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

I've been working on my stepmother's computer. For some reason, she insists on using an ancient IBM Thinkpad 380XD. Despite its comically obsolete appearance, the unit is clean and runs better than many of the newer PCs I've worked on. The problem is that it emits a high-pitched whine. It's very annoying, especially in a quiet room.

This happens whenever the unit is plugged in, regardless of whether or not it is powered on. I was thinking it might have an issue with the power supply, but the computer starts up with no problem. The whine doesn't seem to effect performance, either. The machine appears to be in good working order, despite having a dead battery.

My apologies if this is posted to the wrong area. I'm assuming this is a hardware issue, since the noise is coming from inside the computer itself (back left corner to be specific). Is this the precursor to a fire/explosion? I have my doubts, b/c the unit runs much cooler than most modern laptops I've used. Even after being on all afternoon, it's barely warm. But has whined non stop since I plugged it in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:55 AM

sounds like it might be a fan, but if its not powered on, nothing should be going. did you remove the battery and see if it makes noise then?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Wow, I think you may have guessed exactly what the problem is. I just removed the battery, plugged in the unit, and immediately noticed the whine was gone. It powered up with no problem. Nice and quiet. Thanks, man.

LOL, now I just have to find a battery for an 11 year old laptop.

Edited by MaxPower42069, 08 April 2009 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users