Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inability to Delete Non-Protected Folders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hi. I have a handful of files or folders (that I am aware of) which can not be deleted. From a time standpoint, this has probably been going on ever since I got the computer, but first noticed it maybe a year or so ago. Not emergent or anything, just frustrating, especially when I'm trying to tidy up folders, etc.

One such example is the folder C:\Program Files\XEROX.

When I right click on the XEROX folder and then click properties, it reads, "0 files, 1 folder" and the "Read-only" attribute is ticked. It doesn't make a difference whether I change the "Attributes" such that "Read-only" is unticked; the next time I open the folder it is still "Read-only". Nor does it make a difference if I attempt to remove the "Read-only" attribute, I still cannot delete it. The same is true for a subfolder within the XEROX folder (C:\Program Files\XEROX\NWWIA). I also made sure there were no hidden or protected system files in either folder.

Specifically what happens when I attempt to delete.....there are a few seconds in which an animated window appears showing "files" moving from one folder to another, and this is soon followed by the error message below:

Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete NWWIA: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

The error message makes no sense to me since (A) there are no other programs open at the time I attempt to delete and (B) my wife and I bypass the welcome screen when booting (ie we have the same user account) and no one else ever uses our home desktop computer which, by the way, is not on any sort of network accessible to others.

I tried to run a tool in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware under the "More Tools" tab called "FileASSASSIN", which is supposed to be able to "delete locked files on your system." But it didn't work; this may of course be because there are no files here, only folders; thus nothing appears in the box beside "File Name:" in FileASSASSIN. And when I exit this tool, an error message appears that states "No file was selected."

This same problem (of not being able to delete folders/subfolders) occurs in C:\Program Files\microsoft frontpage\VERSION3.0\BIN. There are no files present in any of these folders, and all are labelled "Read-only," (just like with the Xerox folders). I don't know if important or not, but both of these folders (XEROX and Microsoft Frontpage) list 1/14/03 4:30pm uner "Date Created", although a lot of others do as well, since this is when I purchased the computer.

I can't find any examples right now of files which I can not delete, but I do know that they exist. I think at least one or two are in one of the hidden Temp folders under Local Settings, but I can't seem to locate now.

If anyone knows why this is occurring and/or how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate your assistance with this annoying problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Have you tried using unlocker?
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

I believe that some files which may lie on bad sectors...tend to behave differently.

Have you run chkdsk /r on your system lately? Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and /) and hit Enter. Answer Y to the query, hit Enter. Reboot the system, let the command run to completion...it will reboot the system when completed.

Louis

#4 virused

virused

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Can you delete them in safe mode?
~\/1$3~

For every VIRUS there is a remedy.

#5 black069

black069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

To respond to the kind folks who have eplied to my post thus far....

Hamluis, I have not tried the UNLOCKER application. I've never heard of it. Will try.

Romeo29, I regularly run CHKDSK, although I don't know if the way I run it has same effects as the method you described. I right-click my hard drive, select the tab (?name; maybe "Tools"), then select "Error-Checking." Once this opens, I select (by checking box beside) the second of the two options listed....I think it is called "Scan for errors & attempt recovery of bad sectors." (The instructions say not to check both boxes b/c choosing the 2nd automatically performs the 1st option, which I think is just to scan for errors only.) Then I just let it run. Romeo29, does what I describe accomplish the same as the method you described?

Virused, I have not yet tried to delete in safe mode. I can try that. You think it will work?

If anyone is wondering why I don't just try these methods now before responding, it is b/c I am not at home yet....answering from my PDA.

Thanks, & I'll update you all with the results of the above (potential) fixes.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

Re chkdsk /r:

I normally check both boxes when I run chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer...because I don't believe that the features of both options are included in the option to recover. When in doubt, I tend to be redundant :thumbsup:.

I think of the first option as being equivalent to chkdsk /f:, which does not recover files from bad sectors.

I want it to do that and also recover, so I check both. This is equivalent to using the chkdsk /r command, so I thought.

But you are correct, now that I've finally read a description of what transpires :flowers:, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users