Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file assasin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

MBAM has a section called FILEASSASIN,,, is it ok 2 run this application occassionally for a deeper search of problems or potential problems? Is it reccomended?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

I don't think it is a scanning program MBAMs File Assasin. As I understand it it is meant to be used for those types of files which will not delete via the normal methods. You point it at such a file and it will forcibly delete it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

FileASSASIN is used for deleting locked files. It works like a program called Unlocker. It cannot be said how efficient it is in deleting locked files.
It is certainly not a malware scanning program. But if some malware file is locked, you can manually delete it using FileASSASIN.
Although, it comes packed with MalwareBytes antiMalware, but you can download it seperately too.

More information:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

#4 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

I was thinking it would delete the tail ends of programs. Like what is left behind when one deletes a program(s) no longer wanted.A simpler process than going into DOS to delete bits and pieces left behind by programs gone.
Is that what u mean?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

When a file is open and in-use by some program, you cannot delete it. It is said to be locked.
When you try to delete such a file, you get a message like : The file is in use by another program or user.
Some malwares use this technique so they cannot be deleted.
FileAssasin deletes such locked files.

You can see complete information at the page : http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

I dont know if you can go into DOS in Windows XP.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

I was thinking it would delete the tail ends of programs

It will not do a clean up as such. You have to enter the file location for what you want to delete
It is meant to delete difficult files
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

there is a program on my sons puter that is not listed in add/remove,or start and yet upon reboot it pops an icon into the tray. I was hoping fileassasin would rid the puter of it. that is why i asked

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

What kind of icon is it? You can manually remove it using Startup Control Panel, which you can download fromt he link below:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

First you need to know about the program setting that icon. Take the mouse cursor over the icon and see what shows up. Also Right-click, double-click over the icon.
Once you know some info about the application, you can google about it.

Finally using the gathered info, you can disable it in Startup Control Panel.

Though, it is better to seek advice from BC advisors before you do anything.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

What is the name of the program?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 spiritwolf1226

spiritwolf1226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

its called " virtualgirl",,, i remember it being on my own puter when i 1st got and set it up, b4 i even downloaded anything,, i eventually got rid of it,, but dont remember how

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

Is there anything in Add/Remove that has Totem in the title?
Here's a list of files and registry keys:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_102458.htm
You might try Revo Uninstaller
I suggest backing up your registry first using ERUNT
--------------------------------------

How To Use Revo Uninstaller:
  • Please download Revo Uninstaller.
  • Extract the ZIP file to a folder and run revouninstaller.exe from there! (You can copy that folder to an USB Mass storage drive and use it without any installation required!)
  • There are two ways to uninstall programs with Revo Uninstaller:
    Important: Please, try to close the application you want to uninstall first!
  • Select the application in the list of installed applications and press the Uninstall button in the toolbar.
  • Right-click the application and click the Uninstall command in the displayed menu. Follow the instructions.
-------------------------------------

Install ERUNT
This tool will create a complete backup of your registry.
  • Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

When you are finished with fixing your computer , you can uninstall ERUNT through Add/Remove Programs. The backup will be stored at C:\WINDOWS\erdnt, and will not be deleted when ERUNT is uninstalled.

[

Edited by garmanma, 08 April 2009 - 11:45 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users