Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System hangs every 10 seconds!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 uiuc2009

uiuc2009

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I came into work this morning and found my computer acting a bit funny. The computer seems to freeze for about 3 seconds every 10 seconds or so, with no response from keyboard or mouse. Also, any programs looking for system information (system properties) is running very slow.

My computer was recently infected with the Vundo trojan and i got rid of it by using malwarebytes's software, which i have ran again along with mcafee and both came up clean.

I am running XP professional SP3, on a AMD64 3000+ with 1.5 gb of RAM.

Any thoughts on what is causing my problems? Thanks in advance!

-Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fardin100

fardin100

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

hi, as your system has been infected with a very destructive Malware, you will need to post a log in security section. What i believe is that there are still files left from this infection.
In the meantine before your pc crashes or freezes, press ctrl+alt+del then go to processes, do you see any using alot of memory and cpu usage, if so end it.

Try accessing safemode, power on pc then click on safe mode, this will give us a better understanding of what might be causing this problem, because safemode loads less processes and programs. Crashes can also mean corrupt system files, this can be repaired by clicking start then run and type
sfc /scannow. Then insert your xp disk and click retry, this will scan all system files making sure that they are all accurate.

Other thing you can check for is overheat, take all cables out from the pc, then clean the fan using a brush or air canister, and close case back.

click start, then run and type cmd
type chkdsk C: /r
The c will be replaced with your localdisk.
Lastly, click start then run and type msconfig
click on start up tab, uncheck everything and restart machine.

By the way this problem how long ago did it occur? i have seen posts where SP3 has provided this issue, maybe uninstalling this might come to your aid.

Edited by fardin100, 06 April 2009 - 04:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users