Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the problem here???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Southstreet

Southstreet

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

I pay $99 for 12GB of wireless internet per month, and every month by about week three it starts to slow down and I get an email from my ISP that goes like this;

Your usage so far: 9700 MB
Allowance for this period: 12000 MB
Allowance remaining: 2300 MB
We'd like to remind you that your service will be slowed to 64kpbs after your monthly usage allowance is reached

So I have two questions......

It seems to be already slowing down well before 9700 MB even though I pay for 12000 MB at that speed (which is 20000/512). Shouldn't they slow it ONLY when I've reached 12000 MB and not before?

Secondly...my idiot flatmate who can barely remember his own name...let alone turn his computer (or a light) off...always goes out or to sleep and leaves his browser open with multiple tabs of web pages...for hours... ALL the time. Could this make a significant difference to the amount of usage in my house? Can I give him an earful for being so useless and wasting all our MBS..?? Neither of us download anything much....I get music sometimes and occasionally some video but nothing out of the ordinary...and certainly not 12 GB in a few weeks.

Thanks for any advice.
Southstreet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

Any time you have have your browser open, or an internet connexion established, there is background packet "noise" of handshaking. While this is minimal, it can make a difference over a month. There are all sorts of free usage monitoring applications available for download; using one will enable you to better understand (both at the time as well as a cumulative monthly total) precisely where your limited amount is being "spent."

"Shouldn't they slow it ONLY when I've reached 12000 MB and not before?"
I would discuss this with your providor's representative after reviewing agreement information (either provided to you at the time or on-line).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users