Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speak Easy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: The Speak Easy (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want BC to keep the Speak Easy forum

1. Yes (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

2. No (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

3. Don't care (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

Vote

#1 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

Heard the Speak Easy forum is under scrutiny of being shut down.
Curious as to how the members feel about this, not that the poll may influence the outcome of the admins decision.

Edited by MishY, 06 April 2009 - 02:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

I voted Don't Care, I've enjoyed reading the posts and replying but I've also noticed sometimes it can get a little nasty. So even tho I like it, I can understand why they might end it.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

:thumbsup:

As promised elsewhere my Yes Vote is in.

Moderation can solve most Problems there, there are a few that deliberately set out to flaunt the Rules, remembering that it is an International Forum here? Some people from other Countries have different opinions and deserve to be heard, not howled down.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:flowers:

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

I voted "I don't care". It won't matter to me either way. I always enjoy hearing other peoples opinions. But it can get nasty. So I can see why a nice clean site would do away with it. This will be one of my favorite places on the net either way.

#5 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

I voted "Yes", Same most others have said so far, I enjoy reading different peoples opinions from around the world but it is right because it does get nasty sometimes, where some responses get quite personal.
I admit some opinions I didn't particularly like but I tried to think about it from their point of view and responded in good will, I think I did anyway can't remember all my posts in that section.

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Difficult one to respond to since I am still in diapers around here. However, from simply reading around on other posting sites, ie the local newspaper, not referring to BC, it is quite easy to see how people hide behind Freedom of Speech to spew their hatred. And there lies the crime, they would rather stay in their ignorance, then to learn. And as always, it is the few who destroy it for the rest. A suggestion, if they can not play in the sandbox, without throwing sand, is there a way to ban them? When all things are considered, I shall vote yea, for the virus in the light is easier to quarantine, than the virus in the dark.

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin' Panda

• Members
  • 9,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

The Speak Easy is not what it used to be. It is a moderator's nightmare! Several moderators would still hate moderating it. For instance, it has been said that more moderators would help. How does that compute when no one will listen to what the moderator says as it is? How about the members moderating themselves (you know who you are)? They won't, they have the perfect venue to spout off and they won't control themselves. The Speak Easy was fine in the beginning but with the sheer volume of members now, it is not feasible anymore. It is all well and good when you request more moderators but the first time someone is moderated they get all offended even though the rules state they may be moderated for any reason. People get mad when they are moderated. Must be those are the rules but they don't apply to them. The quoting was getting out of hand. Why is it people feel a need to quote all the time? Why cannot people address directly by actually typing. There were times I could not even stand to read a topic because of all the quoting and then when you get all the quotes nested into each other.. it is ridiculous and as about as redundant as redundant gets. I voted I Don't Care.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

I'm voting I don't care since I really don't have that many opinions on subjects in there as much as others. Sometimes, there are some things that I may say, but I haven't really had much interest lately except to lurk. I can also understand how it's a moderator's nightmare. There are some things there that are hitting dead borderline and is under question of whether or not it should be edited/deleted.

As for the massive multiple quoting, that isn't as murderous as what I've seen on GFAQs. Some topics I feel like reading if there's some kind of debate going on, I see multiple posts (that can range from 3-5 posts) of someone writing to the maximum character limit (or close to it) and all by the same person; it's quite annoying to read. What makes that worse is that some things they say is repetitive or stupid talk of insulting. What's also bad is that there's no actual way (to my knowledge) to properly quote someone, so the only resort is to use quotation marks, bold, or italics. With the mass quoting here, it doesn't really get annoying in the sense of giant posts of big walls-o-text, but rather giant amounts of clutter.

.....now I'm shutting up on my rambling.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Why did this happen?

The Speak Easy is not what it used to be. It is a moderator's nightmare!

Yet we have also this?

Having a single moderator was by design and believe me, you have the best man for the job already

Of course it would be a Nightmare for one single person to Modereate a Forum Section that runs 24/7 Internationally.

Maybe in the early days it was just local American Members? Progress always needs consideration if you want to go International? Now Bleeping Computer is International, should we just throw it all into the "Too Hard Basket" and throw away a Golden Oppertunity to bring people into Bleeping Computer to share a nice attitude of Friendship and Harmony, just for a few people that never want that to happen?

Edit. I Notice that with all the Negative Comments there is not one single No Vote? Is this like how people in America use their Right "Not to Vote" works?

Time People either said Yes or No? That is where we all differ? Interaction with other Communities and Cultures, Countries helps so much in understanding what a Huge World we live in.

Edited by Abacus 7, 06 April 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#10 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

Just for randomly stupid humor, if I wanted to, I could've said all of the above by clicking on all three boxes since it's not a Radiobutton selection but a checkbox selection. I chose not to be an idiot/jerk on that.

....shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

Just to bring an item up to date: "Having a single moderator was by design " is not true.
Although the rest of that statement is basically correct.

Some Moderator's do not work the forum by their own choice, unless requested to intercede.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

Actually, I think this sums it up so nicely?

Click on the Speak Easy forum and now you find lots of stuff that interests you and may be inclined to give your point of view on a subject that you could no where else.
You keep coming back to BC after your computer is fixed for the socializing in the Speak Easy.

I was involved in a Thread in the Chat Area, that was very Popular regarding non American people that made everyone Welcome. In the initial stages we Adopted Koan Yoral, as our Mate. Koan had experienced some of our Countries and was Welcomed by us. As is Normal a few people got out of hand at first and Koan Jumped on them, as expected, but fairly and explained why it happened. We took it upon ourselves to self Moderate each other and ended up with a very Popular Thread. Maybe somethig like this could be done to Speakeasy?

Link to that Thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/165812/poms-aussie-kiwi-and-springbok-banter/

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Fair Dink um. It has generally worked out well there in that thread.
(Thanks for the kind word.)

Personally, I think the "Speak Easy" needs to move on.....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

:trumpet:

Then International people would feel rejected?

Their Voice would be stopped by just a few?

Like Bush did?

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin' Panda

• Members
  • 9,562 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

This is a free internet Abacus 7? Anyone can go anywhere to voice what they want to? If it makes you feel better go start a blog somewhere? This forum is about computer help for new users? Not for everyone in creation to exercise their free speech? That is NOT what this forum was intended for? This is beyong the pale that you would put that on this forum? This forum is not a political arena? It is just simply a computer help forum? See?

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users