Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too many running processes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

I'm temporarily using an old laptop because I need to replace the PSU on my desktop computer. This laptop is slow and I know it's because of the running processes combined with being low on memory. It's a 2.6 GHz Celeron, 256 MB RAM, running Win XP. There are no viruses or spyware.

I'm trying to figure out if I can close or disable some of these running processes. I've looked them all up and I'm still not sure whether they can be safely disabled. Can someone help me out please? This laptop is slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter. Ok, it's not that slow but you get my point.

Here are the processes I'm unsure about:

552 C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe Microsoft Corporation
1328 C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe Microsoft Corporation
1508 C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE C-Dilla Ltd
1536 C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe TOSHIBA CORPORATION
1592 C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe Matsubleepa Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
1628 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe Microsoft Corporation
1676 C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe Analog Devices, Inc.
1692 c:\toshiba\ivp\swupdate\swupdtmr.exe
1916 C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe TOSHIBA Corp.
1944 C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe Intel Corporation
1956 C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe Intel Corporation
2004 C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe Alps Electric Co., Ltd.
2012 C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe TOSHIBA Corporation
2020 C:\WINDOWS\System32\TFNF5.exe TOSHIBA Corp.
2040 C:\WINDOWS\System32\TPSMain.exe TOSHIBA Corporation
132 C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe TOSHIBA Corporation
208 C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe ALWIL Software
384 C:\WINDOWS\System32\TPSBattM.exe TOSHIBA Corporation
108 C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe Alps Electric Co., Ltd.

I'm using a USB laser mouse so I assume it's ok to disable everything related to the touchpad, but I'm just not 100% sure. Also, I'm using CCleaner to disable this stuff, is that ok? Using msconfig didn't work on some of the stuff (ms messenger).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:54 AM

Im not even sure I would disable any of those processes, they all look fairly important. instead, to boost performance I would suggest going into your control panel, opening the system folder, go to advanced, performance, settings, then click adjust for best performance. then in the same window, click advanced, virtual memory, and set it to system managed size. those two things alone should improve your computers performance drastically.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

You really need 512 MB of ram
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

You have to optimize you computer and scan you computer for any spyware virus. you can use Malwarebytes software for spyware.

for optimize COMPUTER. try this link
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/optimize.mspx

Try to disable all the unwanted Startup items From MSCONFIG.
Start > RUN > type "msconfig" > enter > last lab statup setting disabled all the unwanted startup contents. which very help ful for boost your system booting process.

#5 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

You have to optimize you computer and scan you computer for any spyware virus. you can use Malwarebytes software for spyware.

for optimize COMPUTER. try this link
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/optimize.mspx

Try to disable all the unwanted Startup items From MSCONFIG.
Start > RUN > type "msconfig" > enter > last lab statup setting disabled all the unwanted startup contents. which very help ful for boost your system booting process.

You didn't bother to read my ENTIRE post, did you? It really drives me nuts when people just reply to someone elses post without actually reading it first. :thumbsup: Normally I don't even bother wasting my time responding to things like this but I'm really getting tired of this kind of crap.

the_patriot09, Thanks. I'll look into what you suggested. Although, I would still like to disable some of those processes. Hopefully I won't have to use this laptop too much longer.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

You might read through this article:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33012/how-to-use-the-startup-database/

It will explain how to use "AutoRuns" which is a much better program for controlling start-ups...msconfig is primarily for diagnostic troubleshooting and doesn't do the greatest job in controlling all programs running in the background....

Other things to consider:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 gvan

gvan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

Unfortunately operating XP with only 256mem will always be a drag. To see any appreciable increase in performance I would suggest trying to increase the memory. I know $$ are problems to us all nowadays, but maybe you can find some bargains.
gvan

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

You are right about increasing RAM (for the most part)....Unfortunately laptops (specially older ones) only allow 256mb RAM....Motherboards will not accept any more than that...period!!!

If your laptop will support more RAM then by all means Increase it....RAM is cheap and fairly painless to install (on any system) and will definatly assist in performance if installed correctly.

I have an old Sony laptop with a pentium3 processor that came from the factory with 128mb of RAM and 98se installed...After a few years of 98 crashes and lock-up's I installed XP Home...Ran it for about 3 years with 128mb RAM...Finally last year, I decided to upgrade RAM but to my dismay I found that this old box would only support an additional 128mb....I bit the bullet and purchased a matching set of 128mb sticks, installed them, and performance was increased greatly....Not as quick as a new box but does just fine for what I use it for...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users