Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create a secret folder (My way) Easier

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Henry2145

Henry2145

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

Hey, I just wanted to put this on. Go to create a new folder. for the name, hold alt on your left side of the keyboard while typing the numbers: 0160. Then, go right click the folder and click Properties (at the very end) and go to the second tab. Then you see a big folder icon and next to it is a thing called Customize. click it then find a blank spot. Click that, then click apply, then your done! all you need to find it is to highlight the desktop to find it. Yea, its for Window XP for both professional and Home Edition.

Edited by Henry2145, 06 April 2009 - 10:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

Hello!

What OS is this for. I do not see that it works for Windows Vista.

Please make this clearer, and clean it up. It is rather hard to understand. Thank you!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

I've done this before, it's an interesting trick. :thumbsup:

But, as has been noted before, neither this or the other methods found here in the Tips and Tricks forum truly will protect a folder from being accessed by a savvy and determined intruder. :flowers:

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

Good point Andrew. And, if I may add, also include in the tip -- info about how to Not Show Hidden files and folders.

I forgot how to do it exactly, I think you can name a folder FOLDERNAME.sys, to have it as a system folder. It is now hidden and system, which may "lite-encrypt" it. May be that can be tried next. 9 times out of 10, an intruder will be able to access such hidden folder if they tried hard enough!

#5 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I agree that there are a few problems with the original post. First, saying “second tab” is wrong since people can have more or less tabs than the default. Say “click the Customize tab”, that’s more portable across systems. Next, I too do not see what is being referred to, and there is no blank spot, nor will clicking around necessarily cause apply to be enabled (this is on XP).

However, the trick is another cute one that can be fun for some purposes. (I think I first used the non-breaking-space-filename trick back in Windows 95 in conjunction with a transparent-desktop-icon-backgrounds tool to make “unnamed” icons. :thumbsup:)
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

I agree, there is no blank spot!

#7 omi_d123

omi_d123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

Yeah man!!!!
Cool trick yaar
good idea man
:thumbsup: :flowers:

#8 pingu789

pingu789

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for that information dude .I will surely try it .

#9 systembolt

systembolt

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:30 AM

it's a great trick indeed but a simple Ctrl+A will highlight the spot of the folder instantaneously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users