Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old XP on new computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bauerccm

bauerccm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

Hi there. I was just wondering if it was possible to put Windows XP Home Edition from my old computer that I don't use anymore onto my inlaws used computer that they bought?
Thanks for the help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

Legally, depends on whether or not the copy was a retail version or oem, if it is a retail version you can transfer it if there are no other versions of it running anywhere. If its oem (came preinstalled) it can't be transferred. If it is retail remember to check to see if there are xp drivers for the hardware of the new pc.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:56 AM

that and make sure the computer is physically capable of running XP. which it should, XP isnt a huge system hog.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 bauerccm

bauerccm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

How do I check if there are XP drivers?

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

XP has drivers for the most common hardware. A common exception is a SATA-harddrive. If you have a SATA-drive, you will need to load the drivers before installing XP or integrating them (by using a tool like nLite).
Post back if you have a SATA-drive and I will post more detailed instructions about how to load the SATA-driver for your system.

A simple way to know if everything works is just starting the setup. If it finds no drive on which to install XP you'll know there is a driver problem. If everything goes allright it means you have all drivers you need to install.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users