Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grimreaper14694

grimreaper14694

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hey guys,

Over the past 6 months my computer has been in a state of disarray; it is hard to do anything with speed anymore. This must be the most complicated problem I have ever seen, and I am still unsure whether or not it is a hardware, software or vista error. I will make a list of symptoms my computer shows, along with what I have done already to try to fix it.

Feel free to move this topic as I am unsure of whether or not this error is Vista/hardware/(other)software related.

Startup:

On startup, it is most likely that I receive an error message that says my Disc drive failed to load, or a vista error saying, "Vista Failed to start" and is currently missing one of the following files: system.exe and startup.exe. If I receive the first error message I will simply leave for about 4 hours by which, for some reason, the disc drive error will no longer occur. If the second error reoccurs after the first one, I will put in the Windows vista disc and it will say that there are problems in my registry, and it corrects those errors, and I am able to startup.

Once in Windows Vista...
Finally, sometimes after hours of patience, I am able to access my computer, but I am still not finished. After 17 seconds (timed) of no disc usage, my computer will go frantic and read about 200,000,000 bytes of information given by svchost.exe. There are about seven copies of svchost.exe, which I have looked into in other online forums, and they are all apparently used for vista services. This goes on for about 15-20 minutes, and eventually dies down to none as it is as I am writing this message.
-RAM Usage
My Ram usage is currently at 788 MB, which I am unsure of whether or not it is an irregularity or a normality, and it is 38% of my computer's 2 GB total. It is DDR2 ram, and before this problem arose, it was at about 28 %.
-Random Freezing
Sometimes, especially when I am playing a game, my computer will randomly freeze. My mouse is still free to move around the screen, so it is not a dead freeze, but I cannot open, close, move or use any applications. On occasion, if I wait, also known as whether I am feeling patient or not, it will unfreeze depending on how long I wait.

My Actions

So far I've run countless spyware scans, even though I am quite certain that it is not a virus or spyware issue, defragmented my hard drive, updated all of my drivers and have been driven crazy by this problem. I've considered wiping my hard drive clean with a disaster restore kit my manufacturer sent with the computer, but I would be very disappointed if my hard drive was not the issue and I had just lost all my valuables. I've changed SATA ports on my motherboard for my hard drive, which did absolutely nothing. The manufacturer provided a 3 year warranty, but that means I would have to ship my computer all the way to California for 5 weeks, and they provide free phone technical support, which I will try tomorrow.

So, what do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

You could do as advised here grimreaper14694. :huh:

regards,

The weatherman

#3 grimreaper14694

grimreaper14694
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

That was for a Trojan that was sucessfully removed, and is completely unrelated to the issue at hand. Ordid you mean create another hijackthis log?

#4 grimreaper14694

grimreaper14694
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

hey,

I would like to announce that I have solved this issue;
my computer was in an enclosed space between my desk
and my wall, and was apparently overheating, causing it to freeze,