Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing core system drivers & files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sp.izz

sp.izz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

Note: Although I'm posting a snippet from a HijackThis log, this issue doesn't concern malware and I'm not requesting malware removal advice.

I'm having all sorts of trouble with Vista Home Premium SP1. It's been squirrel-y since the beginning (I installed it last April on a newly built machine). I've been getting a BSOD more and more frequently. I finally reinstalled over the previous install hoping that would fix it. Nope. It's gotten worse. :huh:

I've run chkdsk (don't know the results, because I don't know where the log file is) and done a memory scan (no errors). When I boot into safe mode, it's stable, so I'm thinking it's a 3rd party driver. But the BSOD errors I've been able to record indicate fltmgr.sys and ndis.sys as sources--both OS drivers. I get the message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" that also seems to indicate a driver problem.

I ran SFC. It turned up missing or corrupted files but said it couldn't replace them. I looked at the log (which I can upload if anyone is willing to take a look) but I couldn't figure out what was missing or corrupt or couldn't be replaced and why--so it was no help to me.

I ran HijackThis and didn't seem to turn up much except some missing files. Does anyone know if I'm reading this right? That is, is my OS really missing files like lsass.exe and slsvc.exe? If so, are those the files SFC was referring to? More importantly, can and should I replace those files? (This is my last attempt to fix the OS before doing a clean install, which I'm avoiding more than normal because I'm triple booting into Win 7 beta and Ubuntu 8.10 from HDD0 and those installations will get wiped out too in a clean install. I hope someone can help me.)

EDIT: Sorry no logs, full or partial are permitted outside of the HJT forum

Edited by garmanma, 05 April 2009 - 09:29 PM.

-c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sp.izz

sp.izz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

I was given permission by The Weatherman to post portions of the log only for the purpose of showing that they indicated missing files.

Why can't I post a partial log here? I didn't see that restriction any where. Did I miss it?
-c

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

I would think that checking you Event Viewer at the time of the BSOD might shed some light on the problem
Looking in Device Manager for exclamation points or question marks would also be helpful
As would reinstalling the network and video drivers
If you have messed around in your BIOS at all, I would restore default settings

Edited by garmanma, 07 April 2009 - 04:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

I was given permission by The Weatherman to post portions of the log only for the purpose of showing that they indicated missing files.

Please show me where that was said in this post:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1205511

You asked:

Would it be OK if I repost to the Win Vista forum if I leave out the HJT log?

To which TW responded:

I don't see why not sp.izz please send me a PM to let me know if you do so, it would be appreciated.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 sp.izz

sp.izz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

I know what was said. I read the thread and even wrote some of it. If you must know, per his request I PMed TW to let him know I was reposting. In that PM I mentioned that I was going to post the partial log, but would remove it if he said to do so. He said he thought it was fine.

Thx for your tips. I had scoured Event Viewer, but it wasn't any help. I'll check Device Manager. I had reinstalled my vid drivers. Where do I find updated network drivers? Where do I find out what drivers I need? Device Mgr/Network Adapters?
-c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users